GS425 chopper/starting problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi to everyone i have just found you and joined out of desperation !
    I have a GS425 hardtail chop that i have owned/sold/bought back cos i loved it so for about 7 years. It ran extremely well tho rich until we rebuilt it over the last few months.
    The bike has K&N Filters on it but we are not sure of the mainjet size as they were drilled out ......but we never had aproblem till now.
    the problem is with cold starting ie it will not start unless we spray some easy start into the filters. once warm it is fine. It runs great with loads of torque and top end , and the plugs are a nice colour.
    We have no means of balancing the carbs as we are very short of money....is there a procedure we should follow for this to get it good enough *at home* ?
    what part of the carb could be causing the problem if the bike is running ok warm ? Should we recheck valve clearances ?
    help ?
    I love this bike to bits but need it to be a reliable starter if only on the kick start , so any help would be appreciated even if its a long shot.
    thx guys

Lynda (UK)

Just curious, is there a choke lever missing? You didn't mention one.

Brad tt

Comment

yes the choke is there and has been checked thoroughly , if i put the choke on when the bike is running it bogs down a bit , so i presume its ok.

Lynda

Comment

Hmmm...Sounds like it's not getting enough fuel at start-up when cold.
        Do you have the stock petcock on there?

Also, when was the last time you changed the sparkplugs? Sometimes old plugs going bad can have a nasty effect on your ability to start up in the cold.

After that check your coils. WHen they start to go out they will give you hard prolonged starts when cold....and cut out on you when they get hot.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X