Oil around alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil around alternator

I pulled off the alternator cover of my GS850L (1980) this evening, and there was oil pooled at the bottom of the cover, and therefore around the bottom of the alternator. Looking up in side the engine case, I could see what looked liked the underside of the crankshaft. Below that, I could also see a pool of oil on the bottom of the case that drained out after I took the alternator cover off.

Is this typical?

Yup. The alternator runs in oil.

Everything you're seeing is 100% grade-A normal.

Do you have a Haynes or Clymer manual yet?
    Discover a wide selection of auto, ATV, motorcycle, tractor and equipment repair manuals at RepairManual.com. Choose from trusted brands like Chilton, Haynes, Clymer, and Cyclepedia. Since 1997, we've been the reliable source for comprehensive service manuals, owners manuals, and parts manuals. Shop now for top-notch manuals to enhance your DIY repairs.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

the stator is oil cooled, it is important for long life that you keep a eye on the oil level and keep it up towards the full mark as the stator only gets what is splashed around in there.
      running with the oil level low not enough oil get up in the stator cover and the stator gets to hot and can fail prematurely.

Comment

I'm so glad to hear all that. I was worried that I had a leak somewhere that would require at least replacing some seals, or worse, pulling the engine apart. Whew.

Comment

Working...
        X