Leaking oil :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaking oil :(

I don't know what its called (only been a rider for a year) but I am leaking oil from behind the closest to the rear wheel round (plastic?) silver piece. What are those things are why do they rattle so? Anyways, figured I would ask the guru's about oil leaks in that area and what I might be looking at if I want to try to fix it on my own. Thanks.

Oops, forgot to mention that is a 1982 GS 650 GLZ.

think I got it

By looking at picture on bikebandit.com I think I figured it out to be the cylinder gasket. I am not greatly mechanically inclined but I can do some work. What would you rate this job as? Easy, medium, difficult, very diffcult? Thanks.

Comment

There's a lot of cylinders on a machine. Brake cylinder is the only one I can think of close to the rear wheel. Are you talking about the engine cylinders? Above or below the cylinders? They typically leak oil near the front of the engine below the head (at the head gasket) and if thats what you have to replace, it's a major job. Best done with the engine removed. Try and give us some more info.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Cam Shaft Cover

I was trying to describe the Cam Shaft cover. After checking diagrams on bikebandit.com, and my Clymer manual, I think my leak was coming from the Cam Shaft cover gasket.

This schematic is what I am talking about:

The oil was coming from under the part #6, Cam Shaft cover side cap. I've already removed the Cam Shaft cover easily. Hopefully that is all I will have to replace.

Todd

Comment

Re: Cam Shaft Cover

Originally posted by toddbass10
          Frank. I was trying to describe the Cam Shaft cover. After checking diagrams on bikebandit.com, and my Clymer manual, I think my leak was coming from the Cam Shaft cover gasket.

This schematic is what I am talking about:

The oil was coming from under the part #6, Cam Shaft cover side cap. I've already removed the Cam Shaft cover easily. Hopefully that is all I will have to replace.

Todd
          that sounds easy to me... new head cover gasket (cheap), some sealing compound and proper tightening

Comment

Changing the gasket is a piece of cake. Remove your tank, remove your breather assembly (makes it alot easier to wiggle the valve cover off the engine). Pull the caps (chromed and 4 of them at the end of your cover). Remove a gazillion bolts (ok......16 bolts) and then pop the valve cover off the engine. Clean off all of the old gasket material off of the cover and the head (very important!!!!!!). Upon reassembly I prefer to use a very thin film of permex (orange high temp) on the cover side. I've found, at least with my 850, that this "glues" the gasket into place quite well. On my 850 I've had 2 gaskets get pushed out on the front of the engine where the cover makes room for the timing chain. It seems that the 2 closest cover bolts do not provide enough tourqe to keep the gasket in place at this spot. The ensuing oil leak was quite bad, let me assure you. Anyway, throw her all back together and enjoy the ride.

Comment

Hmmmmmm. Upon looking at the diagram at bike bandit it seems that your 650 has an extra bolt or two at the "weak" spot I was stressing about. Wish my bike had that. Anyway, that extra bolt (or two??) should be enough to keep the gasket in place up there. I'd still use the permex because it helps to fill in all the slight imperfections.

Comment

Another product to use for sealing things up real good, and for me anyhow, works better than silicone, is Permatex H-3 gasket sealer, or its equivelent, Indian Head (in the small brown bottle) sealer. Both available at AutZone and Advance Auto parts...hope that helps.

Comment

Make sure when you order the cam cover gasket that you also order those halve round rubber plugs, they dont come with the gasket and from your discription this is were your problem is.

Comment

Make sure that ALL of the old gasket removed or you will break the cover when you tighten the bolts

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                      Make sure when you order the cam cover gasket that you also order those halve round rubber plugs, they dont come with the gasket and from your discription this is were your problem is.
                      Thanks for all the help. I did think about those half moon plugs and I did order them. Here's hoping this fixes the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by toddbass10
                        Originally posted by focus frenzy
                        Thanks for all the help. I did think about those half moon plugs and I did order them. Here's hoping this fixes the problem.
                        NOW LET ME TELL YOU WHAT NOT TO DO((I DID IT)) When I was being extra fussy being sure the gasket material was all removed((razor blade)); I also cut most of the rubber whatevers that are on the ends of the cam housing causing many leaks.

Comment

Make sure that ALL of the old gasket removed or you will break the cover when you tighten the bolts
                          Personal experience SqDancerLynn1? For me it was.

Comment

Working...
                          X