Simple gearing/wheel size question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple gearing/wheel size question

Theres probably a simple answer to this, but Ive thought about it too much and confused myself!

If I have standard gearing on my 1100 Katana (42/15 I think?) but am using a 17inch rear wheel from a GSXR, will my gearing ratio be changed? Im thinking that Id get better acceleration and less top end?

Anyone? :?

Smaller rolling radius on the rear gives lower final gearing, so yes, you would expect quicker acceleration and a loss of top speed. Your speedo will also read fast.

To get an idea how much, if you run the difference in circumferences of the two tires as a percentage of the larger, you should get the same percentage drop in top speed.

Pete

Comment

Speed Change?

I believe the speedo is driven by the front wheel so if you haven't changed the front wheel your speedo will be unaffected.
      MP

Comment

You're right

I was thinking of the wrong bike. Ooops

Pete

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.

Im doing the 530 chain/sprocket conversion and wanted to make sure I get the right size sprockets. Its got one tooth extra on the front sprocket at the moment which probably brings it back closer to the stock rolling radius overall with the smaller wheel.

Cheers

James

Comment

Working...
          X