Interesting twist on RR failures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting twist on RR failures

So last night on my way home my bike dies, no juice, the dreaded charging issue. So my wife comes and picks me and the bike up and head home, where I print off the stator papers and start looking into things. I'm getting no current to the battery, but the stator checks out, so I pop off the RR, and what do I fine? at some point my battery dripped a bit, putting acid on the back of the RR, eating a nice big hole, oddly enough, it no longer works. The hose that goes on the battery had come off somewhere along the way I guess. So anyway, I put on my spare RR and all is well.

Yep, that's a strange one! I'm sure the acid made short work of the aluminium. Once it gets splashed somewhere it does its rotten work for a long time.

I once had an XJ550 which had somehow gotten acid into the ignition block; the first thing I knew was riding home one dark night up a narrow dirt road, and suddenly the lights, engine, EVERYTHING cut out and made life a little interesting for a moment there. 8O

Mike.

Comment

Sounds like a good time to make the switch to a sealed battery.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Yeah, I bought one of those about a month before I sold my 700. I just bought a new battery for the 1150, that isn't sealed, because I needed it before I could ride, it was a nice day out, and walmart was open. You know how it goes. I'll stick with this battery for at least a year, I did put a hose back on though.

Comment

Once, when re-installing the battery and re-attaching the over-flow tube, I got the tube pinched in a routing clip. This effectively closed off the tube and sealed in the gases as my bike ran. Next time I checked, the battery had swelled up like a balloon from the built-up pressure.......who'd have thought the battery case was so flexible?

Well, the battery was fairly new, and I can be very "thrifty" , so I wasn't about to replace the mis-shapen thing because of a little unsightly swelling around the midriff. I removed the battery, clamped it between two wooden boards and set it out in the sun on a hot day. Guess what? It resumed (approximately) its former shape, and went on to function for a total of 6 years.

BB

Comment

Working...
          X