Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

extremely hot is this normal?

1980 GS850GL 55,000 Miles
    Took a ride at lunch to see if she hold the idle after carb rebuild and o-ring replacement and valve cover gasket replacement. Well I guess I am paranoid and after the ride, I was running around the bike checking for leaks and anything abnormal. I had a small oil leak under the clutch cover (yep that gasket has to be replaced) anyway I accidently touched the cover and boy was it HOT! Is this normal? Along with that with the oil leaking (not much, just a nuisances leak) it was hitting my exhaust and smoking. I saw the smoke like it was coming from the headlight. So as I was checking to make sure it was not wiring to the headlight I touched it. Wrong thing to do. It was extremely hot..is this normal?

thanks

Your cases shouldn't ever get much hotter than 160F. That's pretty freakin' hot though. I can ride my bike all day and be able to touch my clutch cover for a few seconds anyway.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

If it is too hot, what causes that? thanks

Comment

Re: extremely hot is this normal?

Its normal for the clutch cover to hot to hold onto for more than a second.
        Oil circulates inside the cover, so it can be nearly the temp of the oil.
        On a warm day and after a ride long enough to bring the oil up to operating temp for the conditions, oil temp is usually between 170 to 210F.
        Yep, near boiling oil would feel really hot. heh heh When you return from a ride and shut the bike down, if it sits quietly, not making any sounds, it is probably running in normal heat range. If after shutting it off, you hear heat crackling. expansion crackling, then the engine is running too hot.
        You shouldnt hear any muffled popcorn type noises after shutdown.

Earl

Originally posted by cjexotic
        1980 GS850GL 55,000 Miles
        Took a ride at lunch to see if she hold the idle after carb rebuild and o-ring replacement and valve cover gasket replacement. Well I guess I am paranoid and after the ride, I was running around the bike checking for leaks and anything abnormal. I had a small oil leak under the clutch cover (yep that gasket has to be replaced) anyway I accidently touched the cover and boy was it HOT! Is this normal? Along with that with the oil leaking (not much, just a nuisances leak) it was hitting my exhaust and smoking. I saw the smoke like it was coming from the headlight. So as I was checking to make sure it was not wiring to the headlight I touched it. Wrong thing to do. It was extremely hot..is this normal?

thanks
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

If after shutting it off, you hear heat crackling. expansion crackling, then the engine is running too hot.
          Thanks for the info. Never really paid attention to the noise factor but will when I shut if off on my ride home from work. Incase it does...what is the culpit to that popcorn noise?

thanks

Comment

Incase it does...what is the culpit to that popcorn noise?
            That's the $100k question. Most engine problems will cause excessive heat/friction. If you are lucky, it is just running lean.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Re: extremely hot is this normal?

Lean carburation has always been the cause in my experience. There may be others, but I have never found any other causes.

Also, the header pipes at at 3 to 6 inches from the exhaust port will turn a strong blue if the engine is running too hot. Best is no change in color from the chrome, or a gold (a little hotter) or at most, a very slight hint of blue (a bit hotter than gold).

Earl

[quote="cjexotic"]

Thanks for the info. Never really paid attention to the noise factor but will when I shut if off on my ride home from work. Incase it does...what is the culpit to that popcorn noise?

thanks

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

extremely hot is this normal

well all no popcorn sound so all is well.
                also the pipes have never blued or gotten gold in 55,000 so I guess I am good.

one more question. I still have just a tad bit of an increase in rpms after a ride. it goes from 1000 rpms to about 1200. Would a resync be in order? Would an out of sync carb do this? have replaced the o-rings and checked to make sure the boot clamps are tight. thanks

Comment

Re: extremely hot is this normal

I wouldnt worry about it. My 1150 idles about 150-200 rpm higher when its warmed up than it will at cold start up. Mine idles about 1050 cold and 1200 warmed up. Just let the bike warm up and set the idle to whatever idle rpm you want then. That little bit of rpm change is probably due mostly to the intake passageways warming up. I would leave it as it is.

Earl

Originally posted by cjexotic
                  well all no popcorn sound so all is well.
                  also the pipes have never blued or gotten gold in 55,000 so I guess I am good.

one more question. I still have just a tad bit of an increase in rpms after a ride. it goes from 1000 rpms to about 1200. Would a resync be in order? Would an out of sync carb do this? have replaced the o-rings and checked to make sure the boot clamps are tight. thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X