Do Not Know Where to Turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Not Know Where to Turn

I have a 1980 GS1100ET and have just finished a complete engine over haul, but for some reason my Beast will not start. Let me give you all of the details. I couple of weeks ago I started getting a large discharge of white smoke form the exaust when I excelatated. I did a compression check and discovered that I needed to replace the Rings. Rather than just replaceing the Rings I went full tilt and did the following:

Honed the Cilanders
    Replaced the Rings
    Groung my vaulve Ports
    Replaced the valuve seals
    Scraped the exaust and Inlet ports
    And replaced all of the Gaskets.

After putting it back together and make great effort to make sure that everything is timed properly and correctly assembled I tried to start it. After turning it over until the battery died it still would not even turn over. The big issue with this is that before I did the work My bike would start after the first touch of the starter cold or warm.

I have been troubleing shooting the issue but do not know where to turn. I have removed the top cover to make sure that the timeing was correct, I have pulled the plugs to check for propper spark. The Timeing is correct and the plugs are getting plenty of spark.

The only time I seamed to be getting close was when I pulled the plugs dumped a little fuel into each cylander and then turned it over. It shot a flame from the airbox puffed 1 or 2 more times an since then I have gotten no responce.

I belive that for some reason I am not getting fuel to the cilanders but I am not sure. Can anyone tell me where to go from here?

Thanks
    The Beast :twisted:

Have you checked the compression??/ Check the coils/ spark plug wiring

Comment

Yes it may sound stupid but see if the right leads are going to the right place.
      Because if it's not starting & or spitting flame through the air box it's that or ignition/ valve timeing.

Comment

My guess would be valve timing, ignition timing or spark plugs wires on the wrong cylinders or crank triggers wired to the wrong coils and the plug wires wrong.

Earl
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Spark, fuel, timing.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
            My guess would be valve timing, ignition timing or spark plugs wires on the wrong cylinders or crank triggers wired to the wrong coils and the plug wires wrong.

Earl
            agreed, sounds like cam timing is way off or wires on wrong plugs

Comment

Thanks everyone. I will go over the timeing again and make sure that the plugs wires are in the propper positions.

Comment

What is a crank trigger wire? I will check it as soon as someone tells me what it is.

Comment

If your timing is good, then you might try this tip I got from another GSR member.

When you have the airbox off, spray a shot of gasoline (in a spray bottle) into each cylinder. That should at least give you a start.

ALSO, check the float-bowl drain plugs, and see if they've got fuel in them.

What happened with my carbs, was the needle jet had gotten stuck after I put them back together in 3 of 4 carbs. I took the bowls off, unstuck them, and all went well!

Comment

What were the measurements on the:

Bore?
                    Pistons?
                    End ring gap?

When you tore it down. It may have required oversize pistons/rings and now you have no compression after opening up the bore even more

These measurements are crucial after you tear down a motor
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The crank trigger wires come from the points cover and hook up to the ignitor.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for all of the help. It turned out that I did not have the timeing correct and that was the problem. Once I re-timed it she fired up like a champ.

How many miles and at what Max RPM should I use for the break in period. I just got it fired up but it will not idel and it has a thin trail of white smoke comeing from the exaust. I have done no adjustments at this time and hope that this will correct itself with a little fine tuneing.

Comment

Working...
                        X