16+41=96?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16+41=96?

So, I was talking with the PO of the 1100 last weekend, and he informed me that the current front sprocket is setup for city driving (assuming it's 14T). He also told me that he had given me an extra front sprocket (besides the OEM 15T) that's for highway driving. I checked the coffee can, and sure enough, there is a 16T sprocket/spacers in an unopen bag!

So my question is, if I were to use the 16T front sprocket (counted the teeth) could I just order a 41T rear and still be able to get away with a 96 link chain?

Thanks
    Brad tt

If your putting on new sprockets then you should get a new
    chain as well. Get a chain longer than needed (110?) and cut off
    what you don't need.

Comment

Re: 16+41=96?

Using the same tooth count rear sprocket and changing the front from a 14T to a 16T is two links. A link is 3/4" long. so considering wrap on both sprockets, your rear axle position will move forward or back an amount equal to the difference in radius of the sprocket being changed.
      14T at .75" pet tooth equals 10.5 circumference and 1.67 radius.
      16T is 12" circumference and 1.9 radius. 1.9-1.67 is .25. Your rear axle will move 1/4" forward. As long as you have that amount of adjustment available to move the axle forward on the chain adjuster at the rear axle, yes, you can still use 96 links.

Earl

Originally posted by bradleymaynar
      So, I was talking with the PO of the 1100 last weekend, and he informed me that the current front sprocket is setup for city driving (assuming it's 14T). He also told me that he had given me an extra front sprocket (besides the OEM 15T) that's for highway driving. I checked the coffee can, and sure enough, there is a 16T sprocket/spacers in an unopen bag!

So my question is, if I were to use the 16T front sprocket (counted the teeth) could I just order a 41T rear and still be able to get away with a 96 link chain?

Thanks
      Brad tt
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

That's what I was thinking, Earl. Thanks.

Beby I'm planning on replacing the chain and sprockets, but I discovered that I am in possession of an unused 16T sprocket. Figured I save a couple $ by using that and going with just a new chain and rear sprocket. The factory set up calls for 15T in the front with a 42T in the rear.

Brad tt

Comment

Working...
        X