Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quality of shocks

Has anybody used these before?

I want to rebuild my ft forks. What do I need and do I need any special tools?

I had a set that look like those on my 1100E when I bought it. They were better than nothing, but not much. Very softly sprung, not much rebound damping, bottomed easily and harshly over bumps. If you are looking for a cheap set of shocks to get you by, these are an OK choice. Probably better than 20 year old OEM shocks, anyway. If you are looking for true replacement suspension, I suggest Progressive Suspension as a minimum starting point and IKON as the next step, then Ohlins or Penske as the top. WP are also highly regarded, but they were temporarily unavailable (they were redesigning their line) when I was looking. I bought Ikon's and am totally satisfied with them.

Mark

Comment

How hard is it to rebuild the front shocks? Do you need special tools?

Comment

It's not that hard to do the forks, you need normal hand tools and either an air impact wrench or a homemade tool to pull the damper rod bolts. A workbench with a vise is a big help, but not strictly necessary. Definitely get a manual showing the stack up of parts inside if you have never pulled a set apart before.

Mark

Comment

Thanks for the help. It is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Do you know where I can get info on what size the jets were from the factory? It is a 1982 GS750T. The guy I bought it from replaced the jets with bigger ones and I wanted to see how far he went. Thanks

Comment

I always buy a factory manual for my bikes, just for that sort of info. Your dealer may be able to find the stock jets, too, but I would invest in a manual anyway.

Mark

Comment

Thanks for the info....................

Comment

Working...
                X