X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back tire wont touch the ground....

It's still on the stand!!!
    I'm a newby to the GS's, not bikes.
    I recently bought an 80' GS850 G, with 15k on it. It had been sitting under a tree for 6 months or so, after a mild wreck. I'm making a steet fighter out of it.
    Got it home, charged the battery, threw some gas in it, started up like a champ. Wouldn't rev up unless the choke was on. Figured it was the main jets. Took carberators off, COMPLETELY tore them down and cleaned them. Drilled out the air/fuel plugs. They are set at 1.5 turns out. Carbs weren't dirty at all. Bike still runs the same. Runs the same with and without the airbox on. Intake boots don't seem to be cracked. Good spark on all plugs. Pops a little in airbox, on one side, inconsistantly. Here's what gets me.......
    If I hold the throttle WIDE open, it will, very slowly, gain RPMS and rap all the way out. Is there anything else it could be? Just want to get some opinions, before I spend $100 on boots that I can't wear......
    I'm assuming that with the throttle WO, that it finally gets enough fuel to add with the extra air coming in through a bad boot or o-ring, to run smoothly......

Will the Accel coils work with my stock ignition? What ignition is on the 1980 GS850 G (I'm waiting on my Clymer's to get here)?
    What's the widest tire that will fit on the shaft drive? Mine has a 120, looks like the max would probably be 150.?.?.?.?

GREAT SITE!!!

Thanks in advance guys,
    TR

I would check proper operation of the fuel petcock, and make sure Vacuum hose ( if equipped) is hooked up on the #2 carb. You sound like you are having a fuel starvation problem..

Comment

Did you clean the pilot jets?

If you did, and the carbs are all clean and the floats properly set, turn the petcock to prime and see what happens. Does it have an in line filter in the fuel line?
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Does this bike still have a stock exhaust and intake? If so, then.....

#1 find and replace the o-rings between the carb boots and the head

#2 give it a good valve adjustment

#3 sync the carbs

If the intake and/or exhaust are non-stock, then you should go up a few steps on your main jet and shim your needle. You can search the forums and come up with dozens of jetting posts to help you out.

And yes you can use accel coils with the stock ignition as long as you know the difference between points and elec. ignition. There are two different styles of coils for the different ignitions and you have to get the right one. Accel customer service is very helpful in this regard.

Good luck,
        -=Tim=-

Comment

Doe you have anytype of filter installed or just the air box?

-ryan
          78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
          82 Kat 1000 Project
          05 CRF450x
          10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Stock exhaust
            Stock air filter/box with chrome sides and rubber removed from rear.
            I cleaned ALL jets, needles screens, floats, etc. everthing. The carbs were very clean.
            I do have a Fram inline filter, from Oreilly's..... and the tank is on prime.
            I'll take the inline fuel filter out this weekend, and see how she runs.

Comment

Try spraying some WD-40 on the edges of the intake boots while it is running. If there is a change in the way the bike runs, there's your leak. I would try it before synching the carbs, since if there is a leak in one or more of the boots, you'd have to synch the carbs again.
              JP
              1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
              1992 Concours
              2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
              2007 FJR

Comment

Originally posted by JONZEN1977
                I do have a Fram inline filter, from Oreilly's..... and the tank is on prime.
                I'll take the inline fuel filter out this weekend, and see how she runs.
                Yes, that could very well be a problem. Also, Why are you running it on prime? Is that vaccuum hose for teh petcock at least plugged off if your not using it?

Comment

Did you check the diaframs for cracks or tears? Are installed properly in their little recess? Amd put the airbox back on or tuning it will be useless unless you rejet.

Comment

Re: Back tire wont touch the ground....

What's the widest tire that will fit on the shaft drive? Mine has a 120, looks like the max would probably be 150.?.?.?.?

I think the stock tyre size is 130. Mine has a 140/70 section rear and it's a tight squeeze.

Comment

130/90 is stock size rear tire, I would not put a 70 series. USE the stock size tires.... 100/90/19 for the front. Throw that filter away!!!! You have the stock filter, has it been oiled properly

Comment

So it turns out that the spark was inconsistant, and in the process of quitting all together, on #1 and 4. Crazy how it was there, and quit in the middle of my "intake diagnosis".
                        I ran the left coil (#1&4) off of the other igniter wire, and it fires fine.
                        I checked the coils between the two wires in the harness plug, coil side. They read 4.1
                        I checked the spark plug wires (sticking a lead in each plug cap), one coil read 32, the other read 121... I'm new to the ohm testing. Been trying to decifer tons of previous explainations. Had my meter on the 200k setting, when I tested between the spark plug wires. I want to check the igniter, but every post I've read said something about "2 plugs" on the igniter. Mine just has two wire looms coming out of it. How can I test it?
                        A Dyna S is in the future, but I'd like to make sure the bike is worthy of more money. I haven't riden it above 15mph since I bought it.

Thanks a bunch guys, this is a great forum!

Please help! I just want to ride this beast!

Comment

Put the chrome panels back on, My GS1000 will only run at approx 25mph with them off.
                          As stated above, also check the petcock is flowing and the lines are on correctly, main feed line goes to the center and the 2 outer breathers should be lined out to pipes that flow out toward the rear/ground.
                          Timing could also be possibly wrong as well as shims to tight.
                          Hope this helps a little.

Comment

Working...
                          X