My "new" ride is stinky and a oil leaking sive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My "new" ride is stinky and a oil leaking sive

I am really bummed. I bought this a few months ago. I knew it had issues. I have pulled the carbs and rebuilt them, they were leaking terribly. I changed the oil and ran it on the road less than 200 miles all together. Exaust is sooooo stinky, I nearly pass out from fumes! If that is not enough, after the last 40 mile ride, I looked down and there was a puddle of oil under it. It appears to be leaking where the cam chain extends from the front of the case. It may be leaking elsewhere too. So, what is likely to be causing the terrible exhaust fumes? Also, where can I get a good gasket kit for her at a reasonable price?

Appreciate it folks.

Rick

Yikes, sounds like my bike back when it was running super rich.
    Couldn't stand those fumes...they made my eyes burn at stoplights.

You ever tried holding your breath through a stoplight?
    Let me tell ya...it's no fun.

Hmmm...well, the first thing I would do is get the clymers manual for your bike and go through it making sure all the parts of it are up to spec.

Then I would do a search for help on your topic here.
    Sadly, without knowing a bit more about your bike and more info I can't be of much help to you directly.

Got any pictures?

Comment

It would help if you mentioned what year/model bike you have.

Mark

Comment

The "exhaust fumes" are simply the result of oil dripping all over the exhaust headers and burning away. Fix the leaks and the fumes will fix themselves.

Comment

Yeah, I read posts all the time that ramble on but never list the details and I laugh at them...... Anyway, my seeping baby is a 1979 GS850G with approximately 28000 miles. I can smell gas in the oil. I've read past posts that say the petcock can cause this. Anyway to check it? Appreciate any help.

Rick

Comment

check the tach-unit , and your valve cover gasket if the leak is at the front of bike.

if its really nasty smelling , maybe your secondary drive is leaking some oil and burning up on the pipes by the kickstand.... gear oil is the nasty stuff.......

good luck!

poot

Comment

Thanks Poot. The valve cover gasket "seems" OK. I also swiped my finger around the tach assy and it also appeared dry. The bike came with a 4 into 1 that exits on the right. I know oil is dripping on it and burning. I wouldn't have thought it would have made the nasty fumes. On the parts breakdown for this motor, there looks to be an o-ring around where I belive the oil is coming from. Do those have a bad reputation?

Thanks again.

Rick

Comment

Just purchased a gasket set from partsnmore. 59 bucks shipped, not too bad. I hope to get at tearing this apart soon. Missin' some prime ridin' time.

Thanks.

Comment

Dont forget to check the crancase breather system. If it is kinked or plugged, preasure will definatly build up inside the engine and tend to force oil out wherever it is able to do so. Check the obvious before throwing money at it.

Comment

Thanks. when I had the carbs off, the breather hose was fine. I'll get a flashlight out and look into where it connects into the engine.

I'm sure there is a gasket problem too.

Rick

Comment

If your exhaust smells like unburnt gas and it is coming from only one side of the bike, then definitely check your petcock. Remove the vacuum line from the carb, then gently suck on the line and if you taste gas then it is toast.

Could also explain the fuel in the oil, especially if the floats are set wrong, or the float needle is stuck open... basically gas will continue to flow into the carbs, then right on into the motor.

Comment

My bike smells gassy fumey too! I am adjusting valves now --waiting for the $%#^ shims I need.
                        Could poorly adjusted valves cause this? I am thinking that if the exhaust valves not closing properly could leak unburned fuel into the headers.
                        I am hoping to get better range after the valve adjustment. Carbs are fine - went through them this winter.
                        If you haven't yet, you might want to check the valve clearances.

Comment

Hi. I have the valve cover off. Definately verified the breather tube going to airbox is fine. Inside is nice and clean, whew, what a relief. The gasket for the valve cover was compromised in at least 2 spots. However, the bigger one was between the jugs and the other spot was on the cleaner side of the engine. Dang... With this cover off, the other gaskets further down look awful intimidating to get at. Sure don't want to hose the engine over. My gasket kit is to arrive Wed.

Rick

Comment

I know it's a stupid question but did you check the level of oil? when my petcock malfunctioned and I had not realized it, my bike ran so rich.. that was because the gas filled the case and the fue lbecame part of the lubrication system, therefore coating the cylinders with each stroke... once I smelled the exhaust fumes so rich I knew to check the oil.. I couldn't see a level line, then looked in the filler and the level was way up. thank god I didn't ride it around.

Jim

Comment

Jim, Thanks for helpin'. I had just changed the oil. It was full. Thanks.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X