Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Leaking

OK guys,
    Things have been going very well for the little red pony. But now I've noticed an oil leak very time after I ride About the size of a quarter mabey alittle bigger. I looked everywhere but I can't find the dam leak. Has anyone else had this problem? It's an 83 1100e. Mabey the head gasket? I am lost this time.

I have the same bike. Had the same thing happen. I checked the pan bolts first and the plug bolts on the front of the case to add a cooler, on either side of the oil filter cover. No more oil leak. I'm fairly certain it came from the cooler plug.

Chris

Comment

Chris thanks,
      do you mean an oil cooler? I don't have one. But I will check all those other bolts, I did have the oil changed just before i started leaking.

Comment

Christ may well be right.

But here's another possibilty. Assuming your engine is a TSCC 4-valve jobbie like on my Kat1100, the leak could be from the front two center-most head bolts (which you can only access by removing the cam cover).

The reason I think this is a possibility, is because you say you think the leak might be from the head gasket.

Anyway, these bolts (nuts, actually) are fancy-looking things, because they have an O-ring recessed into their perimeter, so that oil won't leak out of the head. With heat and age, the O-rings perish and then leak, and will need replacing. Typically the oil trickles out the top of the engine, down either side of the cam-chain tunnel, and over the front of the cylinder block.

This might not be your problem, but it is a possibility. Something else for you to check!

Mike.

Comment

Matt,

The plugs are there to add a cooler to the block. Good luck.

Chris

Comment

thanks guys,
            i will check those today when i get home. By the way looked at both your pic. NICE machines guys.

Comment

Working...
            X