Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine rebuild

Ok,
    I really am thinking of rebuilding my 1100 motor. Never done it. Rebuild that is. Minimal mech. exp. How hard is it? How much does it cost to do such a thing or would it be cheaper/faster to send it out somewhere. Or is that a win the lottery first job?

First thing:
    Buy a Clymer Manual for the bike. You can get them all over the internet for 10-20 bucks. Read what is involved and evaluate if you can take on the project.

Second:
    What do you have for tools and a place to work. This will greatly influence the time and money and difficulty level of the job

Third:
    If you have time/space and tools you will always be able to save a ton of money doing it yourself.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Andy,
      thanks, lots to think about.

Comment

Depends on how much you are going to do Budget at least $1000......... if you are having someone do all of the work figure $3000-4000
        What problems are you having?? How many miles on the motor???

Comment

1100 rebuild.

I can offer price in Australian dollars, just in the process myself.
          Pistons $ 116, Rings $ 270 genuine std size, After market top end and cover gaskets $180 (includes valve stem seals), gudgeon pins $13, Cost of head clean up and valve lapping ( better to get this done by someone experienced) $ 200, Cost of rebore or honing of the barrels, (honing cost me $50). Will need a small and large torque wrench plus the workshop manual, its a must. Costs can hit the sky, depending on the damage.

Comment

It rattles loudly when i first start it, and then as it warms slowly goes away or atleast minimises. I had the cam chain checked and its fine. I want to keep my ride, but i have concerns as to what i'm up against.

Comment

Re: 1100 rebuild.

Originally posted by Chris Grant
              I can offer price in Australian dollars, just in the process myself.
              Pistons $ 116, Rings $ 270 genuine std size, After market top end and cover gaskets $180 (includes valve stem seals), gudgeon pins $13, Cost of head clean up and valve lapping ( better to get this done by someone experienced) $ 200, Cost of rebore or honing of the barrels, (honing cost me $50). Will need a small and large torque wrench plus the workshop manual, its a must. Costs can hit the sky, depending on the damage.
              Woooah, I just bought a GS750 gasket set on ebay, shipped from USA including postage and conversion fees etc for AU$110

for aussie parts source try Bkperformance, shoot him off an email, and he will get back to you!

Comment

Working...
              X