Filter Oil. How much? What type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filter Oil. How much? What type?

Ok. I figured out why my main idle screw had no affect when I adjusted it. + I figured out why it was running bad.

I had soooooo much filter oil in it I was starving it for air.

I have cleaned out the filter and re-instaled it. The bike runs MUCH better. It is a little on the cold natured side but after a few times around the block it runs nice.

As of now I have the filter nice and clean w-no oil in it.

The oil I used was the blue Bel Ray stuff that you pour on the filter and work it in. I hesitate to put the stuff back in now that my bike seems fine.

Once I'm sure the gas is dried out of the filter what oil should I use? I would like to use something thiner, and I want to make sure I don't use too much.

Thanks Chris.

If your talking about the foam OEM type, The oil your using is suitable for it, as is regular ole' GP motor oil. Just pour oil on the filter and ring it out as you would a chamois or washrag. Clean off your hands and install it. DO NOT run your bike without the oil in the filter, as it will not filter anything smaller than big rocks without oil.

Comment

I use Yamaha oil filter oil, it sticks like s**t to a blanket, and will not drip out when warm like motor oil.

Comment

Thanks.

Thanks......

I'll be sure to use some filter oil and yes it is the OEM UNI filter in an all stock set up.

The filter is still moist so I think thats why it has enough restriction right now. I used rags to try to ring the gas out of it and then a shop vac to dry it even more. I know a shop vac and gas is not a good idea so I made sure it was REALLY ringed out first.

Last time I cleaned it with gas though it must have still had a little gas when I re-oiled it. The gas/oil mix ran out of the filter over night and down my center stand! What a mess!

Thats why I have it with no oil in it now. I want to make sure all the gas is vapored out.

Comment

I used DAWN dishwashing liquid when I cleaned mine up (I run a K&N Now). Much safer than Gas, just as effective, and doesnt dilute the oil if some it left in.

Comment

Use kerosene to clean it. Gasoline will damage the filter, and you, too!

Squeeze out all the kerosene you can, then rinse in dish detergent and hot water. Finish with a hot water rinse. Allow to dry thoroughly.

Massage in that filter oil until saturated, then squeeze out all the oil you can. After wringing it out, I squeeze my filter between sheets of newspaper to get the rest. It takes about 10 changes of paper to get most of the oil out.

Whatever oil remains (after you have tried to get it all out) is enough to do the job.

To purge the solvents, let the filter breathe for an hour before closing the airbox and running the engine.

Comment

Allways used two stroke oil,have done for over 25 years, no prob's.

Comment

Dish Detergent... Got it.

Sounds like the dish soap is the way to go here. I still havn't oiled it yet so to make sure the gas is out I'll give it a good cleaning in the kitchen sink (Wife is not home) :twisted: . I think the neighbor has two cycle oil. I might want to give that a shot.

This Bel Ray stuff is like molasas.

Comment

Re: Dish Detergent... Got it.

Originally posted by cdnoel
                  This Bel Ray stuff is like molasas.
                  It's all I use on three bikes. It's super sticky, and won't leak out of the filter. I can't imagine that dish detergent would clean BelRay oil effectively. A $5 gallon of kerosene and a couple of small plastic food-service pails will fix you up. A couple of cups will do the job nicely. In my city, you can drop off dirty kerosene at recycling depots for responsible disposal.

In my experience, two-stroke oil is no more viscous than motor oil. The advantage of using two-stroke oil for oiling filters isn't immediately apparent to me.

Comment

For cleaning I use camp fuel (naptha) and air dry. 8)

Comment

if you have a UNI air filter, it'd be easy to stick with UNI filter oil. it sprays on, and is pretty easy to get/use.

Comment

Originally posted by pidgey
                        For cleaning I use camp fuel (naptha) and air dry. 8)
                        You'll find that kerosene cleans just as well, and costs about the same. However, the flashpoint is much higher. So, there's no real chance of explosion with kerosene.

Comment

Working...
                        X