X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a 1980 GS550L

Hi All,

Great site!

I could use a little help. I have a family member whom I trust that is selling a 1980 GS550L. The bike has about 23,000 miles on it, is in pretty good condition looks wise, but has been sitting in his garage for about 2 years now without being run. He is asking $400 for it.

The situation is this.. I went to look at it this past weekend. He bought a new battery for it and it started right up. The problem is that when you try to give it any throttle it revs a little bit but goes dead. He said that he did a compression test on it and all was fine, as I said I trust that he is truthful. Like I said, it sat for two years. I am thinking that all it really needs is a tune up, the carbs cleaned out, the gas tank cleaned out and new gas thrown in it.

Does this sound like I am on the right track, or is there something more serious that could be wrong with it. He said it was running fine when he parked it. I haven't bought it yet, but would like too if all that would need to done is a little TLC on it.

I know none of you could guarentee me that there is not a serious problem, but from what I described, what is your impressions? Like I said, it starts right up, will idle, but just seems to go "dead" when given throttle.

Should I buy this thing?

Thanks!

hmm

your carbs are probably full of varnish. On my triumph I pull my carbs every season and clean them, along with the rest of the fuel system.

Comment

Sounds like you have the right idea.

It also sounds like it might be running without an air filter on it. If deosn't have the air box it might be re-jetted to run without one.

Do the clean up first then make sure the air box and fresh oiled fiter are all instaled.

Also these things have o-rings between the head and manifold boots. Make sure you replace them while you have it appart or the RPM's will climb and lean the bike out as it gets warmer.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Another question then ... I have never done work on a bike before. I do do almost all the work on all the cars I have owned, so I am not afraid of mechancal work. Is this something that someone, who has never done it before should be able to do, or is it best that I try to find someone else to do it. If It is something that I should be able to giva a shot myself, how difficult and time consuming of a job isw it?

Comment

Go to the carb cleaup link on the homepage here. It is a step by step breakdown of everything you need to know and do. Also, you can get a complete new set of O-rings from http://www.cycleorings.com/. Robert has done all the homework so you don't have to. You can Pay Pal him and have them in a few days. One very thorough cleaning will beat several half-a$$ed ones as you don't wanna be puttingthem on and taking them off again, unless you like swearing like a trucker with tourettes.

Comment

Although I do rather enjoy swearing like a truck driver with tourettes, I like to do it on my own terms. Thanks for the advice and the link. Very helpful.

Comment

I just want to thank those who replied. I cleaned up the carbs, changed the plugs and the bike fired up and ran great, no problems. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
              X