Gs1100e - timing issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs1100e - timing issue?

The bike is big bore gs1100. Bike was running fine prior to pulling motor side cover and spark plugs in order to adjust the cam chain tensioner. (APE manual tensioner, rotate engine and hand tighten until contact, back out 1/4 turn and lock the locknut). However after backing the tensioner out to check the threads and clean it off, the engine will no longer rotate forward now that I want to tighten the adjuster back down. It did rotate a few times but at some point I am thinking that it may have jumped a tooth because it now reaches a point where the motor sticks and will not rotate further as if two parts are contacting each other that are not supposed to. I was not forceful and have left it as is to prevent damaging anything.

I loosed the vavle cover to attempt inspection but could not get it clear of the coils. I plan to remove the coils and cover tomorrow when I have the specs to retorqe the head and set the vavles while it is off. Does anyone have any idea what has happened here or the remedy to such problem. Thanks.

Maybe the cam chain has wrapped it's self around the crank sprocket??

I'd remove the cam cover and check the cam chain and cam tensioner with a flashlite. Pull on the cam chain as you slowly rotate the engine backwards and see if it pops loose.
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I can spin the motor backwards (wrong direction, and do not hear any noise, etc.) I will try what you suggested as soon as daylight breaks.

Comment

My guess is if you turned the crank without the tensioner in it jumped time or the chain is wadded.

Comment

Chain was binding itself up because it was loose. On the positive side, my valves will be set perfect and the cover and tach drive will not leak anymore. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X