Random break ups in power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random break ups in power

I was out riding today on some country roads, i opened up the throttle and the rpms climbed like normal when all of a sudden there was a drop off in power around 7000 rpm. I tried to ride through it and the power came back around 7500 rpms. In second gear i got just below 9500 rpm before a shift with no power loss. I didnt wind out third gear that far to find out if it would break up. Later on i opened it up again and it ran great in first but broke up in second gear around 8500 rpm.

At some points in the trip there were no breakups at all.

Any ideas what would cause random power dropoffs?

Could it be an electrical problem? If so what should i check?

Dirty carbs?

Thanks

A quick guess, if this is the first that it has never happened before, bad gas/dirty carbs.

Do you have a fuel filter? Check that and change, put some high octane in and ride it out. If that doesn't help, clean and re-sinc carbs

Comment

Carbs are generally the first thing to check. Try running a good fuel injector cleaner in a tank or two of fuel.

Comment

I recently ran out of gas and had to go onto reserve.
        A couple tanks later, the bike starting running like crap. I too thought it had t be carbs......
        Turned out my intake manifolds had dry rotted and developed small cracks giving me a vacuum leaks and bad performance.
        When you take the carbs off, remember to check there too.
        Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
        2000 Kawasaki Concours
        Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Supposed to get rain on sunday. If i get the chance ill pull the carbs and take a look.

Comment

Can anyone recomend a good place to get gaskets and o-rings?

Id like to get all the parts needed to work on the carbs ahead of time. If possibly id like to re-use all of the other parts and toss whatever might be old and worn out. I dont know if the previouse owner ever worked on the bike, so im going to assume all the gaskets and o-rings are shot.

thanks

Comment

Working...
            X