Which fuel filter should I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which fuel filter should I use?

I have a 78 GS550, and I've cleaned out the carbs before, but the bike is acting like the carbs are clogged up again. I am going to do a petcock rebuild just in case it is clogged and starving the bike for fuel.

I would like to add a fuel filter to prevent dirt from getting into the carbs, but I'm afraid that with only gravity to feed the fuel through, the fuel filter may cause to much restriction. Can anyone out there recomend a fuel filter that will work?

Any inline paper element fuel filter will work.

I used this one from Emgo on my GS1000 and it is working great:

Comment

MAKE sure it is for a MC the auto types will not flow enough fuel

Comment

Fuel filters are potential trouble and not necessary.
        The tank should be sealed if you have any rust problems. The fine screen on the petcock is all you need for catching particles.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
          Fuel filters are potential trouble and not necessary.
          The tank should be sealed if you have any rust problems. The fine screen on the petcock is all you need for catching particles.
          Thats what I am afraid of. It turns out though that my carbs were fine. I had a dead cyclinder. Turner out to be a bad spark plug. Its running great now, however I would like a fuel filter for extra insurance. I'll Check out the MC shop next time Im there.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
            Any inline paper element fuel filter will work.

I used this one from Emgo on my GS1000 and it is working great:

DON"T USE IT You do not need a filter That filter is listed for a Goldwing
            true it is a motorcycle BUT doesn't the goldwing have a fuel pump????

Comment

Working...
            X