Sprocket removal problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sprocket removal problems.

I can't get the front sprocket off my bike.

How much torque is going to be necessary to remove this nut? I'm going against the engine, and starting to turn the engine. well, not just "starting" to turn my engine. I'm very effectivley turning my engine.

I have penetrating oil on the nut now. And I did bend back the locking tab.
    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

It's best to break it loose while the chain is still on the bike.

Put it in gear and have someone sit on it and press the rear brake.

But now your passed that so heat and lube are the way to go.

It can be a bugger. See if you can wedge it somehow against the case.

Comment

With the chain on and standing on the rear brake, I wasn't able to get that nut loose with two sections of cheater bar on the ratchet. Just how tight is it supposed to be?

Comment

Lil' prollum myself

I'm a little unsure about how to get mine off my 78 GS 1000.
        It's not a standard nut. It's some weird thing with what looks like an allen key hole in the middle. Do I tun counter clockwise? Whats with the three phillips screws? And can I replace those stupid screws that hold on the cover???
        Those suck!

Comment

The three screws are to retain the anti-vibration damper. They do not have anything to do with retaining the sprocket to the countershaft. I've never seen a countershaft sprocket that was locked in place using a center allen set screw.
          usually, the sprocket nut is (I think 28mm or so) and it turns counterclockwise to loosen.

You can get allen screws in kits of the correctl lengths for your sidecovers/cases from cyclerecycle and probably quite a few other places.

Earl

Originally posted by Billyboy
          I'm a little unsure about how to get mine off my 78 GS 1000.
          It's not a standard nut. It's some weird thing with what looks like an allen key hole in the middle. Do I tun counter clockwise? Whats with the three phillips screws? And can I replace those stupid screws that hold on the cover???
          Those suck!
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I used a 1 1/4" socket with someone standing on the rear brake while it was in gear. I don't know what 3 screws you're talking about.

Originally posted by earlfor
            The three screws are to retain the anti-vibration damper. They do not have anything to do with retaining the sprocket to the countershaft. I've never seen a countershaft sprocket that was locked in place using a center allen set screw.
            usually, the sprocket nut is (I think 28mm or so) and it turns counterclockwise to loosen.

You can get allen screws in kits of the correctl lengths for your sidecovers/cases from cyclerecycle and probably quite a few other places.

Earl

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro
              I can't get the front sprocket off my bike.

How much torque is going to be necessary to remove this nut? I'm going against the engine, and starting to turn the engine. well, not just "starting" to turn my engine. I'm very effectivley turning my engine.

I have penetrating oil on the nut now. And I did bend back the locking tab.
              Try an impact wrench. Something like a 1"INDUSTRIAL IMPACT WRENCH with 1400 ft. lbs. of torque should unwind it.

Comment

Either the previous owner put it on backwards, or I've got somehing different. I can't get a socket on it. Have to use a wrench. I'll take off the cover on the parts bike and see if it's backwards.

Comment

Greg,

If you want to trailer the bike over we can try using my impact gun on it (got the air compressor and tools set up a week ago -- woohoo!!), but let me know what size socket you need so I can make sure I have it (although I probably do already).

Let me know... Regards,

OK ... scratch that -- I just realized this was a thread from a year ago that just got resurrected. See ya soon for Brown County!!

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy
                    ...OK ... scratch that -- I just realized this was a thread from a year ago that just got resurrected....
                    Yeah, thanks, me too!

I wonder if he got his sprocket off yet?

Comment

I know he did, because he bought a replacement chain and sprockets for my 550L at the same time ... and I know he finished the job! Hehe!!

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                      X