81 gs1000l runs only with choke out. no acceleration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 gs1000l runs only with choke out. no acceleration

I've seen a bunch of threads that are close to my situation... but nothing worked.. yet...
    The bike sat for over a year. I may not have put enough Sta-Bil in the tank or run it long enough to fully get through the carbs. So I have taken apart the carbs except didn't seperate them. I was able to get all the jets and floats out. I found some ugly sediment and some stuff that seemed kind of fiberous. All seems fine.. I blew out the passages with air and carb cleaner. So far I have been unsuccessful in getting the intake manifold screws out. The boots are still soft and pliable. I have replaced the petcock assembly with a new one.. as I had an incident with the parts can that was soaking the original parts... after too much time with the carb/choke cleaner I had a brain spasm that caused me to knock over the can.. and the parts ran to any cracks they could find... well $50 later.. a new functional petcock. Oh yeah.. The bike ran when I put it in the shed.

My two questions are:

1.) The bike will start with the petcock in the 'run' position but only with the choke cable pulled up. When I turn the throttle the engine dies. No black smoke.. It'll run forever with the choke out. Seems more like a lack of fuel or too much air.. HELP!!

2.) Can't get the intake manifold screws out. By now you can imagine that I've rounded out two of the screws and not any closer to getting them out. Does anyone have the specific steps that they have been successful with to remove them. I'm not really looking forward to pulling the motor. And can't get enough room to swing a hammer on an impact driver. Can I really use an impact gun to remove them? How difficult is it to use a dremel tool to cut the slot in the screws for the inner boots?

I really appreciate any help with this... I'm loosing my mind.

I managed to get a vise grips on to most of mine. They were all pretty chewed up by the time I got them out but it was worth the effort as the o-rings were completely dried out and flattened. Replace them with allen head bolts so you won't have the same problem again.

Comment

Thanks.. I got all the screws out but one... the head broke off.. then the stub broke off... of course it's the 3rd cylinder.. and the inner most lower screw. and I'm trying to figure out how to get it out.. can't get a drill in there..

Comment

Aaaarrrggghhhh!!! I don't envy you there. Have you room to get a small drill in there? You might get it with an easyout. A careful blast with a blowtorch around the area of the offending stud can help: The alloy case expands quicker than the steel stud, but you have to be quick.

Comment

Working...
        X