Size 50 ANSI chain in place of 530?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Size 50 ANSI chain in place of 530?

Long story short I need a new chain... and I need it yesterday. I'm riding a gs550L and it's my daily transport.

Due to cash an O-ring chain simply is not an option. I plan on replacing both sprockets and getting an o- or x- ring chain when money allows, but that time is not now.

Dad's a country boy and said something about using tractor chains back when he was a kid riding so I did some quick research. Size 50 ANSI chain and 530 chain (which is what my bike calls for) appear to be the same specifications.

Best prices I've seen for 530 non o-ring chain were in the $40 range, I can get the 50 chain for 10 bucks and not wait a week for it to come in the mail.

Any reason I shouldn't use the size 50 tractor chain rather than the non o-ring size 530 chain?

My source: http://www.gizmology.net/sprockets.htm
    size 50 5/8" 0.400" 3/8" 0.343" 1400 lbs
    size 530 5/8" 0.400" 3/8" 0.343"

Curtis

* dons fire suit and readys self for flames :twisted:*

I honestly can't comment on whether it's a good or bad idea. Just keep in mind that if the chain is non-O/X ring, you will have to make sure you keep it clean and lubed. Especially if it's a daily driver.

Brad tt

Comment

Re: Size 50 ANSI chain in place of 530?

The tensile strength of #530 motorcycle chain is around 10,000 lbs.
      As you posted, the tensile strength of industrial grade tractor chain is 1400 lbs. Let me phrase it this way. Are you willing to risk your life for $30?
      BAD IDEA!

Earl

Originally posted by curtis97322
      Best prices I've seen for 530 non o-ring chain were in the $40 range, I can get the 50 chain for 10 bucks and not wait a week for it to come in the mail.

Any reason I shouldn't use the size 50 tractor chain rather than the non o-ring size 530 chain?

My source: http://www.gizmology.net/sprockets.htm
      size 50 5/8" 0.400" 3/8" 0.343" 1400 lbs
      size 530 5/8" 0.400" 3/8" 0.343"

Curtis

* dons fire suit and readys self for flames :twisted:*
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

530 Chain

I have used # 50 chain for years, I get it at any bearing store, Morse is one brand, good quality, industrial chain, there are other good quality chains sold at these stores, I am not telling you to use this as I am poor and if it can go wrong it will, getting sued for a chain ain't cool, anyway, just for your info, 530 stands for 5/8 pitch, hence the 5, and 3, 3/8width, 0, heck if I know, the chain comes in a 10 foot section per box, prices vary, there is about 192 links per box, and comes with one master link, so good luck, and this is for info use only....

Comment

Re: 530 Chain

Just curious, what do you use #50 industrial chain on?

Earl

Originally posted by David Goodrode
          I have used # 50 chain for years, I get it at any bearing store, Morse is one brand, good quality, industrial chain, there are other good quality chains sold at these stores, I am not telling you to use this as I am poor and if it can go wrong it will, getting sued for a chain ain't cool, anyway, just for your info, 530 stands for 5/8 pitch, hence the 5, and 3, 3/8width, 0, heck if I know, the chain comes in a 10 foot section per box, prices vary, there is about 192 links per box, and comes with one master link, so good luck, and this is for info use only....

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Ok... so some of you will call me a dumb a$$ for it but I ended up going with the 50 chain. That, along with new brake pads and tires makes the bike SOOO much more fun to ride (dunlop 440's to be exact).

Did some more quick research on the 50 chain and the current ansi standard is 6000 some pounds tensile strength (the 1400 was working strength... so way less than breaking strength).... not sure how many foot pounds of torque a gs550 puts out....

Am I risking my life for 30 bucks? Maybe, but I doubt it. These chains are run on tractors, conveyors, etc where the chain is pulling a lot more weight (granted, it's mostly slow application of force).

I plan on swapping in a o-ring and new sprockets when I have the 200 bucks, but that'll be probably a month or two and the old chain was WAY less safe than the new one (hell... it very well may have been a neglected 50... it certainly wasn't an o-ring chain).

Now, the way the bike was before the new brakes, chain and tires... THAT was risking life and limb (we're talking superstreched chain, pads down to the metal, and BALD OLD CHECKED tires)

Comment

Just FYI,
              Dennis Kirk has 530 NON Sealed Economy chains for as low as $16. It says Tensile strength 6,600 and max engine size is 450.

Good Luck.

Comment

I just noticed your sig line and that its a 550. That will put a lot less stress on the chain than a 1000 or 1100.

Earl

Originally posted by curtis97322
                Now, the way the bike was before the new brakes, chain and tires... THAT was risking life and limb (we're talking superstreched chain, pads down to the metal, and BALD OLD CHECKED tires)

Comment

Working...
                X