Nitro fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nitro fuel

the guys i work with are into those Nitro powerd R/C cars, fast little buggers!....what affect would it have if i would dump some nitro mixed with gas? or am i asking for my crankshaft to pass me up on the road 8O

I have no idea if it'll work or not (or if it would cause spindle, fold, and mutilation of your engine to occur), but if turns out to be reasonable, try to get a digital movie image, that would be pretty cool to see.

Comment

The fuel your referring to would not be good in a spark-type ignition. these fuels are made to burn from a glow plug, simular to a diesel engine. they are, of course, alcohol based, and will not burn effeciently in a spark- type of engine. It is made for extremely high compression ratios (on the order of 20:1 and thats why they work in the R/C type applications). You will notice no improvement, actually a decrease in performance, because the fuel is thicker than gasoline, and won't burn good at such a low compression ratio that our Suzis' produce.

Comment

ok cool, thansk for the replys

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01
          The fuel your referring to would not be good in a spark-type ignition. these fuels are made to burn from a glow plug, simular to a diesel engine. they are, of course, alcohol based, and will not burn effeciently in a spark- type of engine. It is made for extremely high compression ratios (on the order of 20:1 and thats why they work in the R/C type applications). You will notice no improvement, actually a decrease in performance, because the fuel is thicker than gasoline, and won't burn good at such a low compression ratio that our Suzis' produce.
          INCORRECT (sorry)
          I am a RCer and have 7 "nitro" fueled engines ( five plane and two surface)
          top fuel dragsters, drag boats run on methanol/nitro fuel and they have spark ignitions, I have seen a rc plane that had a spark ignition system and ran on nitro methanol.
          most rc engines have relativly low compresion.
          methanol does allow for higher compresion ratios due to its resistance to pre-ignition (knock)
          running a methanol nitro fuel will require much larger jets in the carburators to prevent thermo nuclear melt down of the pistons.

there used to be a class of drag bikes that did run methanol, but I am not aware of it still being done.

dont put any in your bike, a small enough amount that does not lean out the mixture wont make a noticable differance in perfomance.
          for a power comparison, I have a .15 cu inch or 2.5cc engine for my stadium truck that makes 1.2hp (on 20%nitromethane) a gs 1000 (actual displacement 997cc) making the same power per cu inch or cc's would make 478.5 hp!!

Comment

Radio Control glo plug engines as used in RC cars, boats, airplanes and helicopters generally have a compression ratio in the
            6 or 7 to 1 range. Relatively speaking, they have low compression ratios. Nitromethane requires much larger jetting than does gasoline as you must flow much more of it. The RC Heli fuel I have is made up of 17% 10 weight castor oil, 15% nitromethane and 68% methyl alcohol. I doubt there is any noticable difference in viscosity between it and gasoline. You can run a spark ignition engine that burns nitromethane. (all you have to do is visit a drag strip to verify that) Also, ignition model engines do sometimes run some nitromethane. Nitromethane and gasoline engines need different kinds of seals as nitro will destroy the seals meant to handle gasoline. A small amount of nitro MAY not have an adverse effect on the carb "O" rings, seals, etc., however, that small of an amount would probably not have any useful effect on power output either. Also, nitromethane is corrosive and it would likely be a good idea to drain your oil and flush your engine every time you use any. :-) :-) All in all, I would never put nitro into my bike unless it was set up for drag stip only use and meant to use nitro exclusively.

Earl

Originally posted by propflux01
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

i love the smell of nitro in a r/c car in the morning

Comment

I still have to dissagree. Bigger jets are required due to the viscosity of nitromethane. Also, I guess nitro-burning dragsters are in the 6-7:1 compression range too huh? same fuel, just different sized motors.....(course the big ones dont use the castor oil)

Comment

I still have to dissagree. Bigger jets are required due to the viscosity of nitromethane. Also, I guess nitro-burning dragsters are in the 6-7:1 compression range too huh? same fuel, just different sized motors.....(course the big ones dont use the castor oil)

Comment

The bigger jets have nothing to do with the viscosity of the fuel. The larger jets are required to allow the greater volume of fuel required. You must burn approximately twice as much alcohol as gasoline in order to get the same energy output (BTU's).

In applications such as Top Fuel dragsters, running a high percentage of nitromethane (95%+), the small amount of alcohol is just a needed catalyst for the nitro.

The low (7:1 or so) compression ratio in Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars is because of the HUGE superchargers they use, which drastically increase cylinder pressure.

Comment

I DO KNOW THE TOP FUELERS ARE RUNNING HIGH COMP RATIOS, MAYBE SOMEWHERE LIKE 15:1 OR HIGHER.

Comment

Originally posted by rick romero
                        I DO KNOW THE TOP FUELERS ARE RUNNING HIGH COMP RATIOS, MAYBE SOMEWHERE LIKE 15:1 OR HIGHER.

Sorry Rick.... WRONG!

You may be thinking of NASCAR engines. They run high compression ratios, but supercharged drag-racing engines run LOW compresion ratios, on the order of 7:1 or 8:1.

Comment

Originally posted by JJ
                          The bigger jets have nothing to do with the viscosity of the fuel. The larger jets are required to allow the greater volume of fuel required. You must burn approximately twice as much alcohol as gasoline in order to get the same energy output (BTU's).
                          The bigger jets are related to the lambda value, meaning relation air/fuel, for gasolin normally approx. 14:1 and alcohol/metanol just need more parts of fuel to run as we like (almost twice as much).

Comment

Hmmm, not exactly focus. Model engines running on nitromethane fuel run cooler than they do on the same fuel without the nitro added.

Earl

[quote="focus frenzy"]
                            running a methanol nitro fuel will require much larger jets in the carburators to prevent thermo nuclear melt down of the pistons.
                            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Top Fuel runs ~7:1 compression and 40psi (out of those amazingly inefficient blowers too!). I wonder what would happen if they used a nice Lysholm-style or centrifugal supercharger (Perhaps turbos, but that would seem to be a bit hard to quantify the power output at and just after launch).

Pure nitromethane (CH3NO2) runs stoichiometric at 1.6:1 air/fuel ratio. That means that for every unit of weight of nitromethane, there must be 1.6 units of air (well, not must, but thats stoich). This is compared to typical gasoline which is ~14.7:1. When you mix nitromethane with methanol (6.5:1) you can see why you would need HUGE jets on alky carbs.

Earl, technically FF is correct because if you don't change the jets, you'll be running lean as all hell. And we all know that lean @ WOT makes puddles of pistons.

Nitromethane info
                              Methanol info

-=Whittey=-

[edit] eye kant speel oar youz gramer

Comment

Working...
                              X