No announcement yet.

Nitro fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Whittey, I think somewhere I have to find a happy medium between a two line statement and a two page dissertation. :-) :-)
    I said a model airplane engine will run cooler using nitromethane than it will if run on the same fuel without the nitromethane.
    That is correct. The more nitromethane there is in the alcohol, the more fuel flow (volume) you must have. Typically, the fuel used is 15% nitromethane, 20%oil and 65% alcohol. An engine running on this "nitro" fuel will run cooler than it will if run on 80%alcohol and 20% oil. Even model airplane engines are "jetted" for the specific fuel mixture that is used. I automatically assumed we were talking about proper jetting. Guess I should'nt have huh? :-) I agree with you that lean and WOT will make a puddle of a piston......regardless of what fuel you are using. :-) :-)

Earl

[quote="Whittey"]
    Earl, technically FF is correct because if you don't change the jets, you'll be running lean as all hell. And we all know that lean @ WOT makes puddles of pistons.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I dont know about that earl, the higher the nitro content, the higher the power produced.
      more power = more heat

In the summer I run 20% nitro in my rc trucks, in the cooler weather of fall and winter I can get away with running 30% nitro but have over heating problems with 30% in the summer. (yes I retune for nitro content, approximatly 1/4 turn more for 30%)
      I run byrons 15% nitro, 20% oil in my planes year round

PS: where is gerry? he is the expert, rc plane magazine editor, I thought he would have chimed in on this subject by now.

Comment

Sure Leon, you are correct in that more power equals more heat. Let me give an example of my statement since I seem to be having difficulty here. :-) I have an RC Heli that requires 2 HP for normal flight. The heli engine will produce that 2 HP using 15% nitromethane at a cooler operating temperature than it would if required to produce the same 2 HP using a straight alcohol fuel without nitromethane. For a given power output, the use of nitromethane results in a cooler running engine. For your car, if HP remains constant, then increasing nitromethane content MUST result in cooler operating temperatures. The reason your car runs hotter is because you are increasing power output. :-)

Earl

[quote="focus frenzy"]I dont know about that earl, the higher the nitro content, the higher the power produced.
        more power = more heat
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
        X