GS750B timing chain replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750B timing chain replacement?

Hi, ive come to the conclusion that my timing chain must need replacement.

I arrived at this conclusion because I can hear a ticking noise when at idle, and when at high RPM and I back off the throttle hard the exhaust pops, also power has dropped slowly over the past year, yet compression is fine (175psi on all cylinders since I did the valve shims)

A mate who knows loads about bikes said that the noise it makes at tickover is definately a timing chain.

My question is, how easy is this to do, and what is the best way etc?

Do I have to split the engine etc?

thanks in advance.

Have you checked the timing chain adjuster? It might need refurbishing. How many Kms on the bike?

Terry

Comment

Yeah, I checked the adjuster, its not the best (weeping / leaking gasket?) but it is definately still adjusting.

The chain is actually making a tink sound at one point on the tickover, it is the chain, where it has been joined, and it only does it when hot. I suspect that it is binding in the link with the expansion?

Is the chain breakable? is it easy to do? is it advisable?

Comment

Hi, If you purchase an ENDLESS chain, you will have to split the engine cases.
        I had a GS550 and a GS1000G many years ago (bought another GS/G though) anyway, You can purchase in UK (Yes I know that you are in Australia) a split link or soft link cam chain.
        It is very very easy to to do this job, I did it to the above mentioned bikes and you only have to remove the right timing casing and the valve cover.
        Oh, and remove the tensioner.
        Your mechanic mate can help you with this job, it takes about 2 hrs from start to finish, which is far far better than taking the motor out.

Comment

Working...
        X