1985 GS700ES - Sprockets and Chain Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1985 GS700ES - Sprockets and Chain Dilemma

I did a searh and this was addressed in August of last year. I have a few additional questions though. I'm puzzled by the wide differences in the price of chains. My 85 700ES has 8,000 miles on it and the original chain and sprockets. (I'm the original owner) I hate to spend hundreds of dollars on this, but do I need to for my own safety? I'll probably put a thousand or so miles on this bike this year. It's not my main ride. Please advise on where to go for parts. The local Suzuki dealer quoted me almost one hundred and eighty dollars for the chain itself!

when I did mine a few years ago I ordered for here. http://www.accwhse.com

Comment

I have a similar bike (1983 GS750ES), and my experience is that the chain should normally do twice the mileage that you indicate (i.e. about 16,000 miles), if reasonably maintained. However, if that is the OE chain on the bike, mileage isn't the only factor: age may play an important role. Check the chain for rust, and for binding and/or stiff links. If you find any that won't work free, change the chain. Also, rotate the rear wheel and drive chain, measuring slack in several places. If you find significant variation between your measurements in different places, change the chain: it has differentially stretched, and you will find it impossible to adjust satisfactorily.

Although, many recommend changing the sprockets every time you change the chain, I have found that this is not always necessary. In particular, if you change the chain for reasons of corrosion, rather than wear, it will probably be OK to keep the current sprockets. Careful visual inspection of the sprocket teeth should reveal any hooking, etc. Others here have a better idea of chain pricing but $180 sounds way too expensive to me, even when installation labor is included. I seam to recall a price of $80 when I last changed mine but that was a few years ago.

BB

Comment

is my reasoning logical?

Well, I thought that 8,000 mines was way too short of a life span also, but I'm ashamed to admit that the bike sat unused for almost ten years. I was riding last week with my buddy and when we stopped, he walked over to the rear sprocket and at the very back of it, he pulled the chain from the sprocket. He told me the chain was worn out. I'm going from his advice.

I did try that trick at the local dealership with their bikes and the chains hung tight to the rear sprockets. I'm just assuming I need a new chain and I was going to do the sprockets while I was at it.

Comment

Re: is my reasoning logical?

Originally posted by blue700es
          Well, I thought that 8,000 mines was way too short of a life span also, but I'm ashamed to admit that the bike sat unused for almost ten years. I was riding last week with my buddy and when we stopped, he walked over to the rear sprocket and at the very back of it, he pulled the chain from the sprocket. He told me the chain was worn out. I'm going from his advice.

I did try that trick at the local dealership with their bikes and the chains hung tight to the rear sprockets. I'm just assuming I need a new chain and I was going to do the sprockets while I was at it.
          If he could do that, he is right.

BB

Comment

What about adjustment?

Comment

If you are running a 20 year old chain it should be replaced. Mileage is not the only wear indicator on a chain. Sprockets on the other hand may be OK with the mileage you have. I would replace all as a set, if you ride that little you will not have to do it again. You should be able to get both sprockets and a good quality chain (RK, DID ect.) for less than $180. Do not order thru a dealer, use one of the many parts warehouses advertised in the back of any cycle magazine.
              Good Luck, Ed.
              1983 GS 750ED

Comment

Working...
              X