Tach GS 550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tach GS 550

The tach on my 78 GS550 moves real slow is there a way to get inside and lub it to get it to move when I rev the bike ??PS cable is turning freely

I posted the same prob yesterday. No takers. Here's what I did: Take the tach off. Look at the back and you have three holes. Two are for the lights and he third is a smaller hole near the mounting stud. With the tach hooked up and the bike running spray WD40(with the red straw on it) in this hole towards the back of the needle. This worked for me yesterday. I figured if I had to open the tach I could clean it out if it didn't work.
    Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris for the heads up I will try that. It's a friend of mine and I have the honor......LOL.... of fixing it up for him it's been sitting for 9 years just about got her whooped though just a few more things to tweek...LOL... I hope. Thanks again...Steve

Comment

Tach "lock up"

I bought 1978 GS550E a year ago and the tach was noisy....until it completely locked up and twisted off the cable! I got the tach apart, but all the parts inside are "staked" together, so it's virtually impossible to dismantle without runing some of the fine shafts or springs. (Yes, I DID ruin the little brass shaft that the needle mounts on... )

I found a replacement for $45, plus $8 for the cable and $8 for shipping...and it was noisy, too. Took it off again, set it on the Workmate Bench, propped up on some rags to point the threaded drive attachment (where the cable attaches) straight up. I used the square end of old cable, chucked into a cordless drill, to turn the tach while spraying WD-40....lots of it!....around the drive section. The tach occasionally runs inaccurately, but it's no longer noisy. Plan to take it off at the next service and do it again, but this time with a corded drill to get more rpm.

Comment

I tried that and it didn't seem to help so back to the drawing board.

Comment

Working...
          X