Follow Up Question - 700ES Spockets and Chain Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Follow Up Question - 700ES Spockets and Chain Dilemma

Thanks for the immediate feedback. I love this group. Let me ask another question. I have followed the links provided by this group and I'm getting ready to place an order for the chain and sprockets. I'm going to order a

14tooth Front Sprocket
    45tooth Rear Sprocket

and a 530 Chain with 114 links.

I don't have the owners manual. Is this the original configuration? Also, I'm assuming this isn't an O-Link chain. Should I just get the basic forty dollar chain I've found online?

You should get an O-ring chain as they tend to protect the links and pins from dirt and water. A non O-ring chain needs much more regular lubrication. Depends on the bike, if you only ride once in a blue moon and can be bothered to lubricate it before you do... the cheaper one might be ok. I can't comment on the ratios. Isn't a 530 heavier than a 520? Wouldn't a 520 be tuff enuf?

Comment

US 1985 GS700 came with 14/45 as opposed to the 1983 GS750's 14/43. Suzuki made up for some of the 50cc loss by re-gearing. 530 is correct size and 114 links should work for 14/45 combo as 112 links was correct for my 14/43 stock ratio. I would go ahead and spring for the O-ring chain. As stated, they require much less lube- unless you plan to put another 15,000+ miles on the bike you will probably never need to change it again.
      Good Luck, Ed.
      1983 GS750ED

Comment

Originally posted by oldschoolGS
        As stated, they require much less lube- unless you plan to put another 15,000+ miles on the bike you will probably never need to change it again.
        Good Luck, Ed.
        1983 GS750ED
        HuH? I've got 11,000 + in less than a year. 8O 8O If he doesn't intend to ride it, heck I'll keep it warmed up for him. For free too. Ask Scotty about my "Free" bike running services. :twisted: 8)

Comment

You Florida guys gotta rub that in. I wish I had the time to ride that much and the weather to do it year round. Some people have all the luck. Ride On, Ed.
          1983 GS750ED

Comment

O-ring chains are quieter, that's my favorite feature of them.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Chain For GS700

My answer is stick to the O-Ring or X-Ring chains if you can afford them. They're quieter, don't fling lubricant onto the chainguard as much, and last a bit longer.

When buying, try to get as much tensile strength as you can afford.
              Mad Doctor

'78 GS550E - Need O-Rings for carbs
              '85 GS700ES - In Process of Rebuild
              '99 GSF1200S - Running --YEAH!!

Comment

Working...
              X