GS850L Swingarm Alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850L Swingarm Alignment

I am about to remove my swingarm in order to replace the shaft boot which has a rip in it. When I eventually put the swingarm back on, my Clymers manual says to use a vernier tool to ensure that equal distance between the ends of the swingarm's crossmember and the inside portions of the frame closest to the crossmember. However, as I look at the bike, I can't see how I'm going to get anything in there to measure accurately and ensure the swingarm is aligned properly.

Any tricks, tips, or advice on how to get accurate measurements down in there more clearly? Much thanks.

A vernier tool is not essential for this job - I used the flat edge of a narrow screw driver to centralise the cross member. Probably not as accurate, but it did the job fine.

Comment

Good to hear. Sounds like you eyeballed the space with the flat end of the screwdriver, eh? I wondered if it were possible to do something similar, but wanted to get someone else's experienced opinion first if possible. Thanks.

Comment

I guess the 850 is the same as my 1000G.
        I had my swing arm powdercoated and when I re-installed it, I placed it between the frame and gently tightened both outer allen bolts until both were hand tight, I then backed them out a touch then tightend the lock nut.
        No problem arose! it rides straight and doesn't wobble.

Comment

It's easier to see from the bottom side Tighten brg adjusters to 3 ft lbs

Comment

The brg adjusters are the allen head bolts, I take it.

Comment

Yes those are the ones

Comment

Working...
              X