Out of nowhere 1 cyl goes rich...???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of nowhere 1 cyl goes rich...???

Well, long story short I've been running my cycle a tad lean for the last 200 miles, nothing horrid but the plugs were ALL pretty light brown, so I figured I wanted to open the intake a little more coming up so I went for a ride yesterday figuring when I get home I'd order jets and such. Well on the way home I noticed it was a little more blubbery than normal. When I got home checked the plugs, everyone the same as before except #4 is pretty darn rich. Took all the carbs out took bowls/tops off and inspected, spotless, synced the carbs put a new plug in the bad one, and still running real rich in that one. Any ideas? Thank you!-darren

Float height got out of wack? Broken float? Jet unscewed loose? Hmmm weird.

Comment

hmm, I'll have to check out the float... the needle valve seemed like it was letting in a little air when I would blow pretty hard on the fuel inlet hose, but I dont think the gas has that much pressure going into the carbs... Does anyone know the float hight? This is a 82' 850L.Thanks-darren

Comment

Gasoline has a very low viscosity. It will find a way past a less than perfect needle and seat very quickly so if you think that you can blow past it with air, the gas will get past with very little preasure at all. If you can be bothered, swap pieces with another carb and see if the problem stayes put or follows the parts.

Comment

On the carb that is running rich....

take out the bowl screw on the bottom, gasoline will run out so have a container to catch it.
          Spray carb cleaner through the fuel line ( after the filter, if you have one) and hopefully this will clean the needle seat off. See what runs out of the carb as you spray the cleaner. This will give you some idea what the fuel bowls look like inside. Replace the screw, prime the carb and see if it leaks into the airbox.

Check the tank for dirt, rust and small animals.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
          X