knocking noise from lower end of 83 GS1100E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

knocking noise from lower end of 83 GS1100E

Being that I am not the mechanic, I have been wondering if my engine is on its way out. I have noticed a loud and continous knocking / clanging sound coming from the lower half of my engine. It does however appear to quite a bit when it warms up to about 180 Degrees. Any thoughts what it might be? I have a feeling it could be a bad bearing or crank? You can see my bike in the photos on this site - just look for 83 GS1100E's - Mine is the blue one from Milford, CT

Thanks...

Don't see your bike in the gallery, if you just submitted, it will take a few days for the pics to get put up there.

Anyway, a little more info and we may be able to give you a better idea as to what may be going on:

Does the knocking happen at idle and in neutral?
    Does it get worse when you are in gear?
    How is your clutch? Any slipping or grabbing at any time?
    Is the shifting smooth?
    How many miles are on the motor and what kind of mechanical work has ever been done to it?
    Have you adjusted the valve clearances at any time?

I would tend to doubt a bad crank bearing unless you have over 75k hard miles on the motor. The crank bearings are just about the beefiest and most overbuilt any engine has ever seen.

Are you sure that the knocking is coming from the lower case? I like to take a long screwdriver with a hard plastic handle and push it really tight to various parts of the engine and put my ear on the end. Kind of like a mechanics stethescope. This might help you to pinpoint the location.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I have noticed a loud and continous knocking / clanging sound coming from the lower half of my engine. It does however appear to quite a bit when it warms up to about 180 Degrees. Any thoughts what it might be?
      I'll second Jethro's request for more info. You need to be very descriptive of the conditions it occurs under. It could be as simple as needing a carb sych to smooth out the idle when cold...

Mark

Comment

You may want to check your timing chain tensioner, it could be your chain flapping around. Other then that I would suspect the clutch hub.

Comment

Working...
        X