stator/starter clutch bolts breaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stator/starter clutch bolts breaking

I have been helping my buddy rebuild his 1983 GS1100E for the past several weekends. I have consulted this site and apreciate the info found here, well done. My question has to do with the bolts holding the starter clutch to the magneto rotor, they sheared off! I found the problem replaced the bolts and we started it up a half dozen times and then heard a nasty howling sound so we took the cover off and the bolts were all snapped again?! There is an awful clang/bang when turning over evry once in a while that is downright scary.
    Any ideas :?
    The engine aparently is the R version the crankshaft is thicker than his 1982 parts bike, it is also bored to 1185 with some other mods.

What kind of bolts did you use to replace them with? They need to be the hardest steel you can find, those bolts see an insane amount of torque. Is the starter gear in ok shape?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

starter clutch

grade 12 bolts, and the starter clutch is showing some damage I forgot to mention. There are 3 tears in the perimeter, seems like at the bottom of the spring inserts, the casing is peeling outward in barbs. It is a high compresion set-up too.

Comment

If the clutch has any wear save yourself the time and aggravation and buy a new unit. I "fixed" mine 3 times I then bought a new one. When you put the new one together you will notice how much closer the tolerances are with the rollers.

I heated the clutch in the oven @ 200 deg for an hour( I'm single ) and put the allen bolts on ice.

Bike Bandit has one for your model '83 GS1100ED? for only $112 US

Good Luck!

Comment

I had the same problem with my 1150. Sheared starter clutch bolts and horrible clank and a quick stop when being cranked. The problem was a leaking petcock resulting in hydrolocking the engine. Once I replaced the petcock, it never happened again. That was 3 years ago.

Using a grade 12 bolt is only going to cause damage. If the engine is tuning normally, it shouldnt even come close to shearing off grade 5 bolts. Better to use softer bolts and only break bolts if something goes wrong.

Earl
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

The grouves that the rollers ride in get worn & then they jam and the bolts break. The only fix is a new starter clutch The big motors 1100 & 1150 seem to have more problems with the starter clutch

Comment

Working...
            X