Float Height Specification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Float Height Specification

So I have a float height specification for the carbs on my 86 GS450... but I'm not sure what the reference surface is to measure from. Anybody know?

What kind of carbs does it have?

Comment

You measure from the floor where the gasket will go. Make sure there is no gasket when you measure though. And be sure not to be on that little ridge that is there to push into the gasket. You want to measure off the flat part.

Comment

Thanks Hoomgar... thats what I figured but wanted to double check. I'm pretty sure it has Mikuni BS34SS carbs... but that's just what people have said that an 86 GS450 should have. Have either of you rebuilt the petcock on your bike? The gas flows out of mine while it's on 'ON' even without a vacuum acting on the vacuum hose.

Comment

Yes petcock rebuild is not hard. Get a kit and do her up. You don't want to leave it like that. If the float needles in your carbs don't shut off completely you can flood your crankcase with gas. very bad.

Comment

Yeah... gas has already overflowed into my airbox but luckily not (at least too much) into the crankcase. Where can I get a rebuild kit for the petcock? I have an 86 GS450... the sites I have looked at so far only sell the entire petcock for around $35 or so. Any idea which part needs replacing? Can't wait to get this bike running strong!

Comment

Working...
            X