Removing stock oil cooler GS1150 1984

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing stock oil cooler GS1150 1984

The GS I have is fitted with a stock oil cooler and runs fine.

I make most of the riding, 80% in wheatear at 8 - 18* C/46 - 64*F, highest ever is 35*C/95*F.

Normally the oiltemp is approx 80-90*C/176 - 194*F when 20-25*C/68 - 77*F outside and approx 70 - 80*C/158 - 176*F then 10- 20*C/50 - 68*F outside.

The oiltemp has never been higher than 100*C/212*F and was reach on idle in a traffic jam.

Then I start in the morning at i.e. 8 - 10*C/46 - 50*F, I have to drive approx. 20km/12miles, until the oil temp needle starts to move at all.

I have ones learned that an engine should not be run to hot but it should not be run to cold either.

Do you think I'm better off with the oil cooler removed, or should I leave it and run the engine a little bit cold?

I know the normal discussion here is to mount oil cooler, but has anybody of you, not living in an area with African kind of climate, removed the oil cooler?

Do you know if the stock oil cooler is supposed to be temperature regulated somehow, or does it provide the maximum cooling effect all the time?

Hey KZ,

Im not sure if the stock oil cooler has a thermostat, I would figure that it does. But if it doesnt...why dont you try making a "winterization plate" that blocks air from goin through your cooler rather than removing it.

Manufactures of piston driven airplanes use this techinque. It allows the owner or mechanic to install or remove this plate whenever the season changes. Here in Florida, these plates are not necessary...seeing how its hotter than heck down here 8) . But in the northern climates these plates are used often.
    Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by GS1166
      I would figure that it does. But if it doesnt...why dont you try making a "winterization plate" that blocks air from goin through your cooler rather than removing it.
      Thanks for your reply,

25 years ago I had a Volvo 121, 1960 model with that system as stock.

Inside the car it was a chain running from below the ashtray to a curtain placed in front of the cooler.

There was a thermostat installed in the system and Volvo gave this system up and introduced a winter and a summer thermostat instead in the early sixties and finally ended up with only one kind of thermostat.

If you take the Volvo development in consideration, I preferee the thermostat solution, but I still don't know if there is a stock solution that maybe doesn't work on my GS.

Another thought is if I don't need an oil cool cooler, I don't want to carry one around, my former GSX1100 E 1981 didn?t have an oil cooler and I would never got the idea to mount one.....

Comment

Nobody?

Scotty, you have a lot of knowledge about oil coolers, no comments?

Comment

oil temperature

Karl

I would disconnent the oil cooler. My recollection of the target range for engine oil temperature is about 250 F (too hot or too cold is not good).

The climate here in northern BC seems similar to where you live although we rarely get more than 22 C in the summer on the coast. I thought about putting a cooler on my bike then realized it was not necessary (or desirable) here.

Hope this helps.

Patrick

Comment

I would think that if the cooler is on standard, leave it on. Fixing up a cover for the cooler in colder weather would solve the cold riding problem. I recall that there used to be such covers for coolers in the good old days if you did not buy an optional thermostat for lockhart coolers. A neat cover with velcro tabs would do the job.

As you have a temp guage, very easy to uncover the cooler if you go on a trip in summer or go on a track day

Comment

After reading your replies and also looking in to the former discussions about what oil temperature is correct, I have decided to try to remove my oil cooler after all.

My question now is if it is possible to remove the stock oil cooler and just plug the old connections, or if I have to connect them with each other with a hose or a tube?

Comment

oil cooler

Karl

If your cooler is connected to the two oil galleys on the front of the engine (one on either side of the filter cover), I am sure you could install bolts to replace the oil pick-ups.

You can do a search of previous posts on this topic as I recall Hap commenting on installing a cooler using these oil pick-up points. I think you would also find comments from Scotty in the same search.

Patrick

Comment

I looked through the old posts once again, but can't find the answer if the cooler is supposed to be regulated and if the cooler by-pass is big enough to supply the needed amount of oil to the engine.

In my GS manual there is a block diagram showing the oil cooler connected to the oil pump on one side, and to the oil filter at the other side?

There is also a parallel by-pass line, from the oil pump to the oil filter, with some narrowing symbol, looks like ] [ on each side of the line, which I can't understand what it is. :?

Comment

Karl
                    Sorry i missed the thread. I have a similar problem with the oil cooler i installed myself--In the heat of the florida summer, It will get over the 212F mark but now it is already never getting there--My solution is not to remove it but make a baffel to go over it therby reducing it eficiency. mY NEIGHBOR HAS A LEATHER ONE THT HE PUTS ON IN COOLER MONTHS AND MY BUDDY IN NORTH CAROLINA TELLS ME THAT IN AIRCRAFT ENGINES THEY USE A BAFFEL MADE OF METAL THAT IS MADE TO CLIP ON AND TOTALLY RESTRICT THE AIR FLOW. i dont think that stock oil coolers are regulated

Comment

oil cooler

Karl

If your cooler is connected to the two oil galleys on the front of the engine, I am sure that the cooler can be removed and the oil fittings replaced with bolts.

According to the diagram of the oil distribution system in the service manual for my 1980 GS1100E, the two galleys can be blocked off (with bolts, as on my bike with no cooler) to close the by-pass.

I interpretted the squiggle line on the diagram to indicate the cooler vanes. Witht he by-pass closed (ie the cooler removed), all oil will flow through the filter and directly to the engine.

Patrick

Comment

Karl how far is lidingo from Stockholm and is there a bridge?

Comment

Originally posted by SLOWPOKE/SCOTTY
                          Karl how far is lidingo from Stockholm and is there a bridge?
                          Liding? is an island and it's just THE bridges between Stockholm and Liding? but we have our own townhall and so on, there are actually two bridges next to each other, one from the around 1920 looks a little like the Sydney harbor bridge, maybe slightly smaller, today only used for trams and bicycles (it is also possible to pass with a GS ) and one red painted concrete bridge from 1972 with three lanes each direction.

Comment

Re: oil cooler

Originally posted by patrikobrien
                            Karl

If your cooler is connected to the two oil galleys on the front of the engine, I am sure that the cooler can be removed and the oil fittings replaced with bolts.

According to the diagram of the oil distribution system in the service manual for my 1980 GS1100E, the two galleys can be blocked off (with bolts, as on my bike with no cooler) to close the by-pass.

I interpretted the squiggle line on the diagram to indicate the cooler vanes. Witht he by-pass closed (ie the cooler removed), all oil will flow through the filter and directly to the engine.

Patrick
                            I thought that if the by-pass is closed no oil goes to the filter except through the cooler? :?

You can see a pic of the manuals description at http://karl.zellner.com/oilsystem.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by SLOWPOKE/SCOTTY
                              Karl
                              My solution is not to remove it but make a baffel to go over it therby reducing it eficiency.
                              OK, Maybe I should keep that as a spare solution, if the removing doesn't work, was also suggested by GS1166 and Saaz.

But first I want to be sure that there is no thermostat mounted already and it just doesn't work on my GS.

Comment

Working...
                              X