Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replaced front wheel...now rotor scraping caliper.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replaced front wheel...now rotor scraping caliper.

Good afternoon.

After a recent blowout of my front tire while on the highway and the subsequent replacement of parts...

I am now experiencing what can only be described as the rotor scraping the right caliper. (from the direction of sitting on the bike)

I put the axle back together the way that I took it out and it seems as if I did something wrong.

Left side
    On the front wheel there are no spacers on the left side where the speedometer drive gear goes. Just a washer on the end of the axle to cover the end where it goes into the wheel furthest on the outside.

Right side
    From the hub of the center of the wheel...the next thing is the mushroom shaped spacer that sits on the hub...then the spacer that goes into the fork leg from the outside of the right fork leg. The axle passes through that and then the nut goes on the end of the axle with the pin through it.

I don't know what I did wrong? I even went so far as to make sure the axle had enough looseness in the nut's placement so as to keep the hub from binding on the spacers.

At this point I don't know what to do to fix this. If I get slapped on my inspection because the caliper body is digging into the upper part of the rotor I don't know what I'm gonna do.

I feel like I'm never gonna get this damn thing past inspection. Something keeps on going wrong. Maybe God is trying to tell me something here...

Help please...

When I had trouble with my front wheel I went to BikeBandit and looked over the schematics. I had neglected a washer on the outside of the fork and yes it did make a difference!

Are your calipers ok? The pins that the inner caliper slide on must be clean and lubbed well (with the proper grease) and the seals must be in perfect shape.
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Look at the schematic and recheck your work dood. You don't have something together right.

Comment

...then the spacer that goes into the fork leg from the outside of the right fork leg. The axle passes through that and then the nut goes on the end of the axle with the pin through it.
        I had a similar alignment issue when I pulled my front end apart. I had simply reversed the outer spacer and had the flanged end outside the fork instead of inside. That shifted the wheel close to 1/4" to one side and my one caliper would not fit over the rotor at all that way. The other caliper did fit, but was sitting at a goofy angle. So take a close look at your schematics showing the axle/spacer stack up and make sure you have everything oriented correctly. As long as you have all the parts in there, your problem HAS to be an orientation issue with one of the spacers.

Mark

Comment

Assuming that you have the spacers, etc, installed correctly, the symptom of rotor/caliper rubbing can still occur if you haven't tightened the axle clamp bolts before tightening the axle bolt itself. This can also happen if the fork brace (if there is one, say under the mudguard) is tightened before the axle clamp bolts, sometimes pulling the lower ends of the fork legs too close together.. On my bike (1983 GS750ES), both axle clamps actually tighten onto spacers through which the axle runs.

To correct your problem:

1) Loosen axle bolt
          2) Loosen any fork brace/mudguard bolts
          3) Loosen axle clamp bolts
          4) Adjust separation of fork legs (if necessary) so that brake rotors are centered in the "slots" in the brake calipers.
          5) Tighten axle clamp bolts (these should probably actually be tightening on spacers).
          6) Tighten axle bolt and install split pin (cotter pin).
          7) Tighten any fork brace/mudguard bolt.

BB

Comment

Aw darn...I lost part #9...a washer.

*big picture (schematic)*

Crud...anyone know what size washer that is so I can replace it at the hardware store? Would the thickness be about the same as the washer that is #10??

Comment

Dm

Its the same washer (same part #) as on your top inside shock #8

Comment

Awesome, thanks!! I'll take that one off and go to the hardware store and duplicate it.

Thanks!!!

Comment

Sweet

Comment

Working...
                  X