How much oil out the breather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much oil out the breather?

I rigged up my breather to a filter attached right over the rear master cyl. After the weekend of riding I notice that the right swingarm is covered in oil. My oil level doesn't go down at all between changes, so it's not burning or have a ton of blow-by or anything, but how much oil should be coming out of the breather?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Very little. Most of it is condensation that has an oily residue in it. On both my 1k's rigged up this way there is only a slight steam that comes out of there and never amounted to enough to put any on any of the surrounding surfaces. You shouldn't be covering anything with oil from it. I would look further into the cause man. That doesn't sound right.

Comment

That's what I thought. It's very strange though, the filter is pretty clean. Doesn't appear to be dripping oil out at all. I've only seen some steam coming from there, I wonder if it's position is bad news, and the steam collects all over my swingarm as I crusie along? Inquireing minds want to know...
      Currently bikeless
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

That would be my guess. Is the oil coating really thin and easy to wipe off? Or is it a thinker layer like you would get if you poured oil on it?

Comment

No, it's very thin. Actually looked much worse the other day after it rained a little. Very thin and doesn't really get anywhere else but the flat top part of the swingarm. I'll keep an eye on it.
          Currently bikeless

Comment

It's just misting Jethro. Just like you breathing on a bathroom mirror only you would have to have oil in your breath for it to stay then.

If the later starts happening I would say then you have a bigger problem

Comment

Maybe you could place it over the drive side and have an automatic chain oiler 8O 8O 8O
              Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
              2000 Kawasaki Concours
              Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Put your filter/hose end in a reservoir. I made my reservoir out of the dust cover from my Progressive shocks. It's under the seat.
                Keeps the bike nice and clean. I just use a napkin to absorb any condensation "soup" that collects. Don't get much though, except after long rides/foggy days.
                If you want to see it, visit my website. Second to last photo.
                Just click the WWW symbol below.
                And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                X