Gnnnnarrr Damned Air Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gnnnnarrr Damned Air Box

Anyone got any tips for getting the airbox back on on a gs850 without pushing the thing through a wall, picked up a partially dismantled 850 and I can't get the damn things to go back on!

GL or G?
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I have a 1980 850L. I found that after I replaced the rubber boots/hoses that go between the airbox and the carbs I could get the airbox in and out much better. Check the boots/hoses on yours to see if they are hardened. Mine were pretty hard on the bottoms of the opening of the boots/hoses that mate to the carbs, and they never would go all the way on. It also seemed that if I screwed the clamp at all, the hose would pop off. I assume they didn't seal very well either. I'll know for sure when I get mine fired up in a couple weeks.

www.crotchrocket.com should be able to get them for you if the dealer can't. They're between $10-$20 I think.

Good luck

Comment

Its a G, my other G is difficult but can be done single handedly,but this baby appears to be impossible even with two of us.

The rubbers aren't hardened, I've even tried the air box off the other bike.

The bike itself is one I picked up partially dismantled off a guy who bought it off another guy with the head off due to aleaking head gasket. The second guy bought a full gasket set and plugs etc but didn't have the ability to put it back together and sold it on.

I bought it as a parts bike but when the guy delivered it it was in better condition than mine!

Anyway, the head's back on as are the carbs I just can't seem to get the airbox rubbers to mate, it's as if the engine is sitting ever so slightly out of position in the frame. Soooo before I start looking at splashing out on Mr Suzukis expensive rubbers or resitting the engine I'm just looking for some final tips.

Comment

A heat gun and a can of WD40. Use both liberally, but always use the heat gun first. Be quick and don't be bashfull.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

The problem I have found with the old rubbers is that though not hardened, they have aken a set. If you examine the carb to airbox rubber junction, you can see that the rubbers are not all angled the same direction even though the carb intakes and airbox holes appear to be the same. I have the best luck by fitting the airbox with boots installed to the carb rack first when the rack and airbox are sitting on my bench. I can rotate the rubbers to the orientation/angle that matches the carbs exactly. Usually, you want a slight up angle on the rubbers at the bottom edge. If they are hardened at all, it is best if you can place the hardest edge of the boots at the bottom, but angle is more important. I also smear a thin film of grease on the inside of the boot so the carbs will slip in easier.

Earl

[quote="Big N Daft"]
            Anyway, the head's back on as are the carbs I just can't seem to get the airbox rubbers to mate, it's as if the engine is sitting ever so slightly out of position in the frame.
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
              . Be quick and don't be bashfull.
              Now there's a line that'll serve you well in most circumstances!

Comment

Working...
              X