Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Loosening Chain - Wheel Won't Move (problem solved)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loosening Chain - Wheel Won't Move (problem solved)

So I put on a new chain on my bike and was tighting it up and tightened it to much and so I loosened the tightening bolts and tried pushing, kicking, and hitting the tire with a piece of 1x8 and nothing... the back wheel won't move forward. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also... When I was putting the chain on the bike I had the wheel all the way forward and I had to cut 3 outside links off.. but 4 was almost possible. Should I have compressed the suspension and tried to get it to the 4 outside link cutoff point. (8 links, 4 in 4 out) After I put it on, the wheels tight at the 1/3rd point... Pictures below... any flaws?

After consulting my owners manual.. it says I took off the right amount of links.. assuming the chain came stock with 120 on it.

Look at the pictures here. http://nick.wirelesszero.net/gallery/bike/index.php

So yeah.. anyone know how I could move that wheel forward again? It doesn't wanna budge... would starting up the bike do anything? I can't do this right now because i'm still waiting on clutch parts to come in.

Loosen the axel nut, nothing else can hold it

Comment

Lay the new chain on the floor and put the old one next to it. This is the best way to find out where to cut the chain. The old chain is stretched so just make sure you have the same number of links.

Comment

My chain had broken before we moved into our new house... and I'm only now getting around to putting the new one on. So the old chain is long gone. But i'll keep it in mind for next time. Thanks.

And I'll try loosen the axel nut tomorrow. That was my last resort... Maybe.. while i'm at it.. I should go out and buy some axel grease. When i replace my sprokets I didn't relube my rear axel. I just put it back in with the lube that was on it... I assumed this was fine.. None of it came off.

Comment

The axel nut holds the axle in place. The chain adjusters adjust the tension on the chain. Loosen the axle nut until you can turn it with your fingers.

Earl

Originally posted by DarkDevil
          My chain had broken before we moved into our new house... and I'm only now getting around to putting the new one on. So the old chain is long gone. But i'll keep it in mind for next time. Thanks.

And I'll try loosen the axel nut tomorrow. That was my last resort... Maybe.. while i'm at it.. I should go out and buy some axel grease. When i replace my sprokets I didn't relube my rear axel. I just put it back in with the lube that was on it... I assumed this was fine.. None of it came off.
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Put bike on center stand, loosen axel nut, push wheel foreward, adjust chain to 1" slack half way between the front & rear sprockets, be sure wheel is in line, tighten axel nut, be sure adjuster bolts are still tight against adjuster, tighten lock nut on adjuster bolt, take bike off center stand, and while sitting on bike with both wheels on the ground, you should have 1/2" to 3/4" slack in the chain, half way between the sprockets.

Comment

Count marks on the adjuster collars on both sides so the axel is moved the same distance on both adjusters.

E.

Originally posted by rphillips
              Put bike on center stand, loosen axel nut, push wheel foreward, adjust chain to 1" slack half way between the front & rear sprockets, be sure wheel is in line, tighten axel nut, be sure adjuster bolts are still tight against adjuster, tighten lock nut on adjuster bolt, take bike off center stand, and while sitting on bike with both wheels on the ground, you should have 1/2" to 3/4" slack in the chain, half way between the sprockets.
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
              X