GS650GX bogging just off idle and at 4k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650GX bogging just off idle and at 4k

I'm stumped! My 81 gs650G is bogging just off idle when I start off and at about 4k when I give it gas. When I start my idle sounds pretty good and when I initially start out the bike runs better that it does after about 10 minutes of riding. I just put dyna coils in and new plug wires to try to combat the problem but with no luck. It runs bettter when it's not bogging but the bogging is still there. I have replaced the o-rings on the engine side of the carb boots and I'm reasonabley sure that there are no air leaks elsewhere. I have cleaned (really) the carbs and put in new o-rings from Rober Barr. Since I have replaced the carbs I have not had them syncd and I wonder if that is an issure in this case? I also wonder if it could be the float levels. I have just rechecked the levels and they are at 22.4mm but that measurement is from the bowl gasket base to the top of the float ie. the flat part above the top of the curved part of the float. (if you know what I mean?) I'm wondering if this is wrong and the measurement should be just to the top of the semicircular part of the float rather than the top of the flat stepped up part the tangs attach too? I also wonder if the air screws could be the issue, but as I understand it they only come into play at idle or just off idle until the butterfly opens and the pilot jet takes over. Also I don't knowhow this would explain the bogging when I give it gas at 4k. I'm confused and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Any other mod's?

Comment

No other mods. Everything is stock.

Comment

My idle mixture screws are about 1 1/2- 1 3/4 out,adjust each one to get the highest idle.But you are right it sounds like you need a carby sync.
        It can cause this prob.

Comment

When you say "get the highest idle" what do you mean? Do you mean that when you have the bike running that you adjust an air screw and you can hear a higher idle?

Comment

Yes,but you have to listen hard.
            Every carb will be a bit different,this is the best way of doing it.

Comment

I'm still al little concerned about the flaot height issue. When I look carefully at the suzuki shop manual it does seem to indicate that the 22.4 mm float height measurement it not to the top of the float where the tangs attach but below that where the top of the curved surface of the float ends. (Mine as I said are 22.4 mm to the tang surface, which would seem to indicate to me that the floats are set to low thus allowing the level to rise too much?)If this is the case, even if I need a carb sync and my air mix settings are off, won't this alone create a too rich situation and possbly cause the bogging of the line and 4k because of the overly rich situation casued by a flaot that is letting the leve be too high? And if this is the case don't I have to fix this problem before I do anything else? I'm not sure?

Comment

Looking at the picture in the suzuki workshop manual (thank you ebay)I think you will have to reset the floats.
                Do that first.

Comment

Working...
                X