running lean how bad is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

running lean how bad is it?

My bike is running lean, ( all my plugs are still white after 60 miles) I have checked all the places air can get into and have tightened all the clamps and screws, I have new intake boots and o rings. I have my pilot air screws (#25 in the carb rebuild )turned out 1.5 turns. Is there any thing else I can do. And how bad it is to run the bike lean, and for how long till damage can occur.
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

and could some one give me the specs on a bs32ss cv carb for a 81 gs550 ( same as the carb in the carb rebuild). I would like to know how many turns i need to set the pilot, and the other screws in the carbs.
    thanks
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x

Comment

I'm not the carb expert around these parts, but it seems you might be able to adjust your fuel/air mixture settings. Running excessive lean can wreak all sorts of havoc on your engine.

Comment

i'm all set, i got my hands on a shop manuel, and for a 81 gs550t you need to turn the pilot screw out 3.5 times
        82 Kat 1000 Project
        05 CRF450x

Comment

Originally posted by first timer
          i'm all set, i got my hands on a shop manuel, and for a 81 gs550t you need to turn the pilot screw out 3.5 times
          When you prepare to make the pilot screw setting please do not tighten it when you front seat it just snug it up

Comment

If it is showing white after running for a while you have a needle or main tuning problem. Assuming the float levels are not set too high (leans it off) then adjusting the needle up and increasing the main will do the job. Usually I get the main right first, then play with the needle.

Has it always been like this, or only after the rebuild? If the latter, someting has been chnaged (obvious huh!!)

Comment

Working...
            X