1981 GS650EX need carb rebuild kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS650EX need carb rebuild kit

What is the best place to get carb rebuild kit for a 1981 GS 650EX ?

Would anyone know the part number for the BS32SS Mikuni carb kit ?

Thanks as always.

These guys probably have it. They specialize in older bikes and ship promptly. http://www.z1enterprises.com/default.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by Rock
      These guys probably have it. They specialize in older bikes and ship promptly. http://www.z1enterprises.com/default.aspx
      I just looked at what they list for the 650e models. It is the same K&L kit that I just got off of e-bay for my 82 650e. However my service manual lists different size jets from those for the shaft drive 650's, which is what is in the kit.

see this thread to see the differences.:

All that to say, it looks like I"m still in the market to pick up the correct size jets.

However if you're going to do a complete re-build, the rest of the parts in the kit are still usable.

Just wanted to let you know that if you get those kits you will still have to go and get the proper jets.

Amos

Comment

Thanks for the info on the jets.

How does one get ahold of Robert Barr for parts?

Comment

Originally posted by scarr
          Thanks for the info on the jets.

How does one get ahold of Robert Barr for parts?
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigRed

I just looked at what they list for the 650e models. It is the same K&L kit that I just got off of e-bay for my 82 650e. However my service manual lists different size jets from those for the shaft drive 650's, which is what is in the kit.

see this thread to see the differences.:

All that to say, it looks like I"m still in the market to pick up the correct size jets.

However if you're going to do a complete re-build, the rest of the parts in the kit are still usable.

Just wanted to let you know that if you get those kits you will still have to go and get the proper jets.

Amos
            Time for me to eat my own words (well sort of)

I just used those kits to re-build the 550 carbs to put in the 650 so I can go through and re-build the 650 carbs and not be without a ride.

Anyway.. Finished this morning and put the carbs on the 650. Took a little bit of cranking till it finally fealt like it was going to turn over. By then I think I had worn the battery down to the point it wouldn't run the starter and have enough juice to propperly fire at the same time. So I left off the starter when it sounded like it would kick.. took a couple of slow speed fires.. then she ran.. Let her warm up a bit, then took her for a quick (all of two blocks) spin. Seems to be running ok.

I need to adjust my idle speed though, as with no choke it was trying to die. But at least now I know she'll fire and run, at least long enough for me to get to Mark's (Hoomgar) to use his tuning tank. To finish tuning.

Anyway, that is with the "larger" jets in that kit.

As a side note, they are not the same mfg as the original jets, so they may have a different numbering convention.

Sorry for the long post.

Amos

Comment

Many members have had tuning problems with the generic kits. YOUR best bet is to get the O rink kit from Robert & the individual parts from www.sudco.com or your dealer Rarely do you need to replace the jets 99 % of the time you need to replace all of the O rings & maybe the float needle

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                Many members have had tuning problems with the generic kits. YOUR best bet is to get the O rink kit from Robert & the individual parts from www.sudco.com or your dealer Rarely do you need to replace the jets 99 % of the time you need to replace all of the O rings & maybe the float needle
                Very true.

In my case I needed to set up the second set of carbs so I could properly clean out the ones on the 650. Choke doesn't work etc.. So I needed to get all the jets etc. It really is only a temporary "fix" till I get the originals cleaned and back on. So I'm not too, too worried about actually getting them tuned as good as I can, just needs to run for a week.

Amos

Comment

Working...
                X