Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS550 seems buzzy - Anybody chang sprockets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550 seems buzzy - Anybody chang sprockets?

Maybe I've been spoiled by larger displacement bikes, but my 78 GS550 seems to be geared really low. The engine seems to be reving high at 75mph, and first gear is only good for getting half way through an intersection. My sprockets are stock replacements (I don't have the sizes on my right now). Have any of you guys tried going 1 tooth bigger on the countershaft sprocket, or 3 teeth smaller on the rear sprocket? Any body do both? My only concern is that the 550 lacks the torque to pull the higher gearing.

15/50 is what the book shows. Thats why the 550 has 6 speeds

Comment

1978 GS 550E

I bought this bike last Memorial Day, and while it's a great ride for a very good price, it IS a bit "frantic" on the Interstate at 75 mph. I may try adding a tooth to the front sprocket when I replace the chain.

I have a question for you: do you know of a good on-line or mail order supplier for ignition points and condensers? I found Alpha Sports on line, but they want $130+ for EACH of the two points.....YIKES!! And there's no Suzuki shop nearby here in Wyoming.

Thanks.

Comment

Re: 1978 GS 550E

Originally posted by sailor20034
        I bought this bike last Memorial Day, and while it's a great ride for a very good price, it IS a bit "frantic" on the Interstate at 75 mph. I may try adding a tooth to the front sprocket when I replace the chain.

I have a question for you: do you know of a good on-line or mail order supplier for ignition points and condensers? I found Alpha Sports on line, but they want $130+ for EACH of the two points.....YIKES!! And there's no Suzuki shop nearby here in Wyoming.

Thanks.
        Try keeping an eye on EBAY. I picked up a NOS tune up kit with genuine Denso points, condenser, and Denso spark plugs for under $30. There are a lot of good deals on NOS GS550 parts, you just have to check there often.

Comment

Have any of you guys tried going 1 tooth bigger on the countershaft sprocket, or 3 teeth smaller on the rear sprocket? Any body do both?
          I may try adding a tooth to the front sprocket when I replace the chain.
          Any update on this? Did you do the mod? How'd it work out?

Comment

I went from a 45 rear to a 39 rear on the Yamaha because it was buzzy. It reduced the buzz a lot. Moves the power down to a more manageable RPM.

Comment

I don't know if it's so frantic. The engine can take the revs. My bike seems happiest at 80 and above!

Comment

High RPM "buzz"

I haven't made the modifications to the bike yet since I purchased an '82 KZ750 and an '82 BMW R100RT. No disrespect to the GS550, but the larger bikes are better "over-the-road" rides.

The GS550 is a great lil bike, and made even better since the purchase price was soooooo reasonable. I used it last week to complete the MSF Experienced Rider Course. I plan to keep it in my "stable" for a short-trip/town bike. As far as the chain/sprocket modification, the o-ring chain that's on the bike still has some miles left on it.I may switch to a larger front and smaller rear spocket when I replace the chain. I'll keep ya posted.

Comment

Working...
                X