A Potentially Bold Question:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Potentially Bold Question:

Now, let's go slow into this. I don't want to startle anybody.

Is it possible, to install, in an 86 550, a Kick Starter ?

At least as a supplement if not a full replacement to the electrical.

Thanks, guys.

David C-B

It's probably not easy................

Comment

You could buy one that glues onto the engine case but it is still an electrically operated device. Otherwise your best bet is to find an engine with a kick starter that will fit into your frame(whole engines are usually cheaper than parts of them). I haven't got a clue about installing a kick starter onto your bike so I can't comment on that. Even if you could put one in I am sceptical that the bike would run without a battery or charging system. I had the positive terminal on my bike brake off at the battery and it destroyed everying electrical on my bike. You may be better off paying people to push start you.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srivett
        You may be better off paying people to push start you.

Steve
        Agree,

However, if your goal is to dismount the battery, that is no problem from an electrical point of view, my former BSA 441 1968 had that system, you have to have a big capacitor installed.

However I think the main problem is the mechanical mounting of a kick-starter, if you plan your parking it works OK to push-start yourself.

Tthen my GS 1150 starter was out of order, I drove like that for two weeks. :roll:

Comment

Hmmmmmmm. I've never considered starting my bike by kicking her. Seems like either she would fall over or I'd be leaving a whole lot of dents in the gas tank.

Comment

For old times sake, I sometimes start my 750 with the kickstarter.
            Its a short experience though since the bike starts with one turn over of the elec starter or one kick. :-) :-)

I have a 79 750 (has kickstart) and an 81 750 (no kickstart).
            The cases are different and the raised portion on the 79 that houses the kick start is nonexistant on the 81 case. I havent had the case off the 81, but I suspect that the needed internal machining for a kickstarter and its shaft, bearing, sprague housing, etc. has not been done on the 81. Even if it were, the shape of the case does not physically allow the kickstarter to be installed.

Earl

Originally posted by dallyr
            Hmmmmmmm. I've never considered starting my bike by kicking her. Seems like either she would fall over or I'd be leaving a whole lot of dents in the gas tank.
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Karen's 78 550 has a kickstarter I would think that you could find an earlier case and marry it to your motor. You would also need to get the internal parts and put them in also. A lot of messing around but I think it is possible. Safe Riding, Bill

Comment

If you go to the bikerworld site http://www.bikerworld.co.uk/frameset.html posted by robinjo in an earlier post, it shows a GS550 being rebuilt. They mention where the kick starter "used to be", so it should be possible to do.

Terry

Comment

No, it is not possible. It may be on the '82 and earlier, but the '83 thru '86 550s weren't designed to have a kick starter and there is no place to put one in the engine.
                  Axel

Comment

Working...
                  X