What do I need for my carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do I need for my carbs?

I just got a 1981 GS450L and its has been standing for about 6 years. I got it to crank but the carb needs to be rebuilt. I also took the plugs out and put some gas into the cylinder, put the plugs back in and cranked the engine. It didn't start but it puffed blue some out the carbs. I took the carb it out and there was old gas in there(it didn't smell like gas anymore and it was yellow). I took the top and the bottom covers off and I know I need to buy 2 new floats becasue these are crushed and don't float anymore.

So, what else do I need to rebuild these carbs. I know need jets but i don't know what kind. Can someone tell me what exectly I need?

Thanks in advance.

You can get carb rebuilding kits. You will also most likely need new O-rings which most are not included in a rebuild kit. Go to cycleorings.com and orider a set of rings. Robert has done all the homework so you don't have to. Then break the carbs down and soak them in Berryman's (you can get it at any auto parts store). Make sure it's only metal you put in the Berryman's or it will disappear. Go to the main page of this site and there is a complete pictorial of how to clean up your carbs.

Comment

Are we halfway certain that the CV O-rings will fit the 450 in 1981?

(No guinea pig to work on here...).

RB

Comment

I having trouble finding a carb rebuild kit for my carbs. I looked all over and I am not sure if I am missign something or they are not available. I went to a Suzuki/Honda dealer and they said that the carb rebuild kits are not available for my bike.

I also went to pepboys and autozone and I could not find Berryman's. I am still going to check at carquest and napa if they have this cleaner.

In my town there is a place where they build choppers and sell different parts. I went there today but it was closed, so maybe next week I will go to see if they would be able to rebuild my carbs or at least get me what I need.

Comment

Try searching E-bay for carb kits. Whether you buy of not you should get after market part number. If you have a Schucks in your area, they have Berrymans.

Comment

Actually if you can find Gunk brand carb cleaner it works much better then the Berryman's. I have a can of each and the Gunk brand is the better choice. Most Adavace Auto places have it you can also go to the Gunk website there is a link posted in this post http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ic.php?t=34833

Comment

Carb rebuild kits

A couple years ago I rebuilt all 4 of the carbs on 1978 GS 750, got the rebuild kits from my local bike repair place, I believe they were manufactured by K&L.
              1979 GS 1000

Comment

I cannot find any rebuild kits for my bike. Can I just reuse my old jets and just buy new o-rings, and if i cannot find a gasket just resuse the old one but put some high temp silicone.

I also found these floats, they look like they will fit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Comment

Yes, you should always reuse the stock jets(and all metal parts) if you can get them clean. They tend to be better quality than what's in the rebuild kits.

The o-rings should definitely be replaced.

The gaskets can often be reused, if they are trashed, you can still get new ones from the dealer, or http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandit/default.asp for about $6 each, or you could cut out your own using the old ones as a template...

A lot of the parts for those carbs are still available, although some of the prices are pretty high - the diaphram is $115.00 8O

Comment

Originally posted by ptm
                    A lot of the parts for those carbs are still available, although some of the prices are pretty high - the diaphram is $115.00 8O
                    I ended up buying a full set of donor carbs for that very reason. $70 for a set or four for parts vs. $115 for a diaphragm. I combined the best of both sets. It also helped when I snapped off a couple of posts getting the floats off.

Comment

Originally posted by alan
                      Originally posted by ptm
                      I ended up buying a full set of donor carbs for that very reason. $70 for a set or four for parts vs. $115 for a diaphragm. I combined the best of both sets. It also helped when I snapped off a couple of posts getting the floats off.
                      I was thinking about the same thing, its just that I have no idea what other carbs will fit my bike.

I checked both of my diaphrams and they are still good, and the rubber is not cracked.

Comment

I think you'll wanna snag a set off a bike with same size engine and close to same year, then look at the pictures to make sure are identical. I made that mistake and now I have a set of 750's to find a home for.

Comment

I took the carbs apart, cleaned all the jets and I fixed my floats so they float again. I put the carbs on but now when I put the gas in it flows out the carb into the air box.

What could this be? My floats set to high/low?

Also, the engine wants to start but all I get is blue smoke out the carbs. Any ideas? Here i was thinking i would need to retard the timing, but i think it is electronic igntion so it cannot be done. I need help!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X