'84 GS400E Charging problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'84 GS400E Charging problem

I believe i lost my rectifier regulator. Based on my shop manual(haynes i believe) i tested the alternator, it was ok.

I tested the rectifier based on the chart in the book and it failed. I also measured the voltage on the batery while the bike is running and it was just under 12V.

I have two manuals for this bike, one from Clymer and the other from Haynes. The Clymer shows how to test 1978 models and earlier but does not mention '78 and later. I looked in the Haynes manual and it has a chart showing resistances between certain points on the rectifier.

Based on this chart the rectifier is bad. I guess this chart must be similair for a wide variety of GS bikes. This manual does not list my bike as one of the bikes they cover... here is the list they cover(my bike must be the same as one of these)
    GS250T
    GSX250E
    GSX400E
    GSX400T
    GS450E
    GS450L
    GS450S
    GS450T
    GS450TX
    manual covers '79-'85

which one of these bikes is very similair to my '84GS400E, it seems like a rare bike us US, is this a Europeon version or something.

Now it looks like i need a rectifier, Electrex wants $105US about 170 CAN.

I was thinking of trying to find a used one. This rectifier has no wires coming out of it, male plug(5 prongs) is build onto the rectifier. What other GS models, other than the ones above, will work on my bike, as long as they are the same electrically, i could probably modify the mounting or cut off the plug, etc.

Any suggestions are appreciated, sorry for winded discription, hope i made sense.

Glen

You could ask Ron Martin which GS model my rectifier came off of. The only problem with the one I got from is that is is so big my side cover sticks out at the top. Other than that, call Electrex Canada rather than importing the part yourself. You could also cross reference the replacement rectifier on Electrex's site to see what other bikes it fits. For example my bike uses the RR10 which fits a Kawasaki. If the Kawasaki put out an equal (or less) amount of current as my bike I could put the Kawasaki part on my bike.

Steve

oh yeah, got a spare engine kicking around? I may be in need shortly.

Comment

Rectifier Cross Reference

hello steve;

i went to the Electrex website and found my bike and looked for all other models with the same type of rectifer(RR10). for example the suzuki GS850G/GL '79-83 also requires the RR10.

My question is...If i found a used rectifer from a '79-'83 Gs850g/gl, would it fit and work on my bike. I would assume yet, but does the rectifer that electrex supplies fit exactly the same as the stock rectifier?

Thanks
      8)
      Glen

Comment

Re: Rectifier Cross Reference

The Electrex RR10 also fits the Gs750 models. The RR10 has 5 wires coming out of it. Red +, black-, and three yellow for the stator output.

Earl

[quote="monaco2
        My question is...If i found a used rectifer from a '79-'83 Gs850g/gl, would it fit and work on my bike. I would assume yet, but does the rectifer that electrex supplies fit exactly the same as the stock rectifier?

Thanks
        8)
        Glen[/quote]
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Hi Glen,
          The rectifier should work but the side cover on your bike may not fit over it properly. That was what I was trying to say. When you connect it up you should run the negative wire to the battery terminal as I had to punch my bike every once in a while because I was losing the connection for that wire. The whole bike was turning off, including lights, while I was riding down the 401 (thank God it was stop and go traffic or I would have been run over). Be sure to solder your connections and use shrink wrap that seals the connection. This kind will ooze out some stuff when you get it hot enough. Home Hardware will have everything you need.

Steve

Comment

Working...
          X