Motor noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor noise

OK I am working on a 1978 GS550 got her running pretty good she's s little cold natured take a while to warm up my question is at idle she sounds like a bucket of bolts rattling around is this just her nature?? I also have a Zuki 1500 Intruder and I never hear the motor much because the pipes are so loud. With the 550's quiet pipes I hear everything. Is there something in there that I need to be concerned about ?? Thanks all this in a great place......Steve

My 1978 GS550 started rattling like that when I finally got it running too. Turned out to be the cam chain tensioner knob on the back of the motor. A 1/8" turn on the screw holding the knob on quieted things down nicely. Just be careful not to overtighten it. Now I just need to replace the left side muffler to get the bike quiet like it should be .

Comment

Thanks for your help I'll try that........Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Reddragon774
        Thanks for your help I'll try that........Steve
        Be careful adjusting the set screw. Unless your manual says otherwise, it must be between 1/4 and no more than a 1/2 turn out.
        Try any setting between these two points, but not less or more.
        If your noise is the cam chain, the light external spring wound around the knurled knob may have lost tension. AFTER TURNING THE MOTOR OFF, if you can easily turn it clockwise a little, it's most likely not advancing through its entire adjusting range. Before trying to turn it forward, take exact note of the position of the spring end/hole (such as 2:00).
        You can pull the spring end out of the knurled knob and wind it back (c-c-w) one full turn to add tension. Re-insert end.
        Now re-start and see if the spring end/hole has moved forward, say, to 3:00. If it does, you've gained tension and the tensioner is removing slack from the chain. The noise should go away too.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Thanks Keith

Comment

I try not to get too concerned with engine noise. My 81 1100E has such a noisy engine I was sure it would self destruct at any moment. That was 20k miles ago...
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Also have a 1978 GS550 with some engine noise. It's almost a "clunking" noise. However, when I pull in on the clutch lever, it goes away. And it doesn't get louder as the RPM's are increased, so I write it off as clutch noise.

It hasn't gotten worse, and makes power just fine and dandy, the oil always looks real good, so I don't worry about it too much.

These bikes are known for clutch rattle, so I write it off as just that. Especially since I can pull in on the clutch lever and the sound goes away.

Good luck

Chad

Comment

Engine Knock

The engine in my '80 GS850G started geting what soulds like ROD knock when cold with 10W-40 oil or when hot w2ith 10W-40 or 20W-50. If I am standing at a light with it in N I can hear it every once and awhile. You hear it under load or free spining up at about 1500 rpms then it disapears?? :roll: If it is a cool summer evening you never hear it or after a long highway run. Just on around town trips when it is HOT or COLD??? :x

Comment

Working...
                X