Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My GS450A Seems Dead. HELP!

Hi,
    I bought a 1983 Suzuki GS450A(Automatic) about a year and a half ago. Shortly after purchasing the bike I had to have the stator/rectifier replaced and had to put in new carbs. Since then the bike has been running great except for a few minor things.
    Just a couple of days ago here in Houston I was on the freeway when the bike started to idle low and before it completely cut-off I was able to make it safely off the freeway.
    I tried to restart but my bike would not start. My first fear was that I'd run out of oil and the engine was frozen, which could still be the case since I did put in a whole new quart of oil and the bike had a slight oil leak once parked. It had the leak prior to adding the new oil also.
    Whenever I try to start it, it sort of clicks and you can hear something going on in the engine but not like it is trying to turn over.
    I charged the battery to full charge on my Battery Tender Jr. and tried to start it again, but nothing.
    Please advise on what I should look for or tips on what I should troubleshoot.
    Thanks,
    Dwaun

Have you tried push-starting the bike in high gear to see if the engine turns over?

Comment

It's a semi-automatic engine. I can't push start it.

Comment

Throw a set of jumper cables on it and see what happens then. May be a ground issue. The gound runs to the rear of the transmission and easier to get at with the battery box removed. Bob

Comment

My Bust, I saw it, but didn't register the automatic part. But my question is still the same, even if you have to take off one of the side covers to rotate it ( like the one for adjusting valves), that would help to narrow down what the problem is. I mean if you cannot rotate it at all, well, you know...but if you can, and seems ok, we know theres an electrical problem of sorts....let us know what it does.

Comment

Working...
          X