what stators will fit a gs750???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what stators will fit a gs750???

hi..im looking at replacing my stator on my gs750 id like to know are the suzuki ones ok or are they like the rr ie..crap.. what ones will fit any ideas ppl?

the only thing wrong with the stock Suzuki stator and Reg/Rect is the price and the connectors. eliminate the brass connectors (the tarnish that forms on the brass is the problem) and they are atleast if not more reliable than any aftermarket part.
    my regulator lasted 25 years, the replacement electro sport (electrex) lasted two months and they refuse to honor their warranty.
    electrex used to be a good company but they sold out and are worthless.

Giblet picked up a electrex (electrosport) stator and regulator at the same time I did and his failed after just a couple days.

Comment

YOu can measure the resistance of a used one and if it is in the .5 - .8 ohm range it is still OK. The insulation should not be damaged or burnt. The Stator should last forever if the regulator does not screw it. As long as the regulator does not fail, the stator has nothing to worry about. It is only a coil of wire and if it operates in it's normal range of output, nothing should go wrong.

Trouble is the Suzuki regulator design overworks the stator and does not charge the battery properly. I went to a Honda regulator froma cx500 and noticed that the output is around 14 volts most of the time, so the stator output is not being sent ot ground and wasted. It is this that overworks the stator and eventually they burn out.

Cost for my Honda regulator was 7 dollars, including shipping, from eBay.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Re: what stators will fit a gs750???

What year 750? Not all 750's use the same stator.

Earl

Originally posted by ZXTOSSER
        hi..im looking at replacing my stator on my gs750 id like to know are the suzuki ones ok or are they like the rr ie..crap.. what ones will fit any ideas ppl
        ?
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
          What year 750? Not all 750's use the same stator.

Earl

hi..im looking at replacing my stator on my gs750 id like to know are the suzuki ones ok or are they like the rr ie..crap.. what ones will fit any ideas ppl
          ?
          Yeah, I found that out the hard way! :roll: When the starter clutch gernaded on my 750, I just threw in a rotor and clutch unit that I had sitting on the shelf. When I put the bike back together, I found that it wasn't charging! I had to take it all apart and put the old rotor on the "new" starter clutch. :? Worked fine after that.

Forgive my terminology, but doesn't one stator have 12 "poles", and the other type has like 16 or 18?
          Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

yes, later models, 83 on I believe, used the 16 or 18 pole, which would be a G-2 type. (I think it was 18 pole, havent counted one in a while) :-)

Earl

Originally posted by mcycle-nut
            on the "new" starter clutch. :? Worked fine after that.

Forgive my terminology, but doesn't one stator have 12 "poles", and the other type has like 16 or 18?

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

hmmmm starter clutch

hi ppl ty 4 the replys my 750 is a 1977 mod.... does the starter clutch effect the charging that much then?? mine needs replacing i recon cos it only starts from the button when it feels like it..when a new batt was added it didnt change its mind...it this starter clutch hard to do..i mean while i have the stator off y not do it now? cheers again for a great site ..anton

Comment

Re: hmmmm starter clutch

The starter clutch only engages the starter to turn over the engine. It has nothing to do with the charging system. On your starting problem, usually the button wears out long before the starter clutch. :-)

A 1977 GS750 uses the same stator as:

GS400/425E/L/S 81-88
                GS450E/S 80-89
                GS450L 84-88
                GS550 E/L 8 valve 77-81
                GR650 1983
                GS650G 81-83
                GS750E/T/L 8 valve 76-79
                GS750T 80
                GS750E/L/T/S 81-82
                GS850G/GL 80-83
                GS1100S 83-84

Earl

hi ppl ty 4 the replys my 750 is a 1977 mod.... does the starter clutch effect the charging that much then?? mine needs replacing i recon cos it only starts from the button when it feels like it..when a new batt was added it didnt change its mind...it this starter clutch hard to do..i mean while i have the stator off y not do it now? cheers again for a great site ..anton

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                  the only thing wrong with the stock Suzuki stator and Reg/Rect is the price and the connectors. eliminate the brass connectors (the tarnish that forms on the brass is the problem) and they are atleast if not more reliable than any aftermarket part.
                  my regulator lasted 25 years, the replacement electro sport (electrex) lasted two months and they refuse to honor their warranty.
                  electrex used to be a good company but they sold out and are worthless.

Giblet picked up a electrex (electrosport) stator and regulator at the same time I did and his failed after just a couple days.
                  Sorry to hear that about the Electrex RR. I just bought one and see 13 or 14 volts at 2500rpm, but at 6000rpm the blinkers are still going too fast and the battery goes dead after 2 hrs of running with lights on. I guess I better get in touch with them...

Comment

Working...
                  X