stuck engine cover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stuck engine cover

i cant get the left hand side cover of my bike all the bolts are out but i cant pull it off. thanks for any help

Certianlly DON'T pry on it, but use a rubber mallot. I had to whack mine about 4 times. I also had to remove the engine guard / hwy foot peg to get the case off of the bike.

Comment

What he said. Jar it loose then a good tight grip & pull. The dowells & the magnet make it pretty hard to pull off.

Comment

The bolt on the top at the front near the frame is longer because it goes through a steel bushing. This steel bushing can corrode and cause the cover to stick. Spray wd-40 through the hole ( hey , spray through them all) and give it a minute.

Worked for me,
        1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
        1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Try this, heh,heh.

Kevin
          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Well Kev, that funny and it isnt. :-) I expect there are quite a few noobs that dont know better and would do it even after reading the topic..

Earl

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

That human beings can not bear too much reality, explains so much.

Comment

Ok, I guess you're right. Although I did put "heh, heh," a smiley and made sure that the poster did let it be known he was joking.

Originally posted by ice109
              w/e man it was just me joking, i realize that sometimes i am not descriptive enuff
              Kevin
              E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
              "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
              Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

To avoid all hammer problems, you can take the cover off of starter, and follow the wires that go into the left case. Obtain a little black powder gun powder from your local Walmart. Using a fat McDonalds straw, Suck a little gun powder into the straw, then blow it into the left casing, Continue this until either the case is full of powder, or until you run out. A 1/2 cup should be enough

Now remove all the bolts from the cover, and remove the cycle from the garage.

With a propane torch, light the 4' trail of black powder you left trailing to the cycle. wholaa, Case removed, no pry marks, no pesky rubber hammer problems.

8O

Comment

You don't need to go to the trouble of buying black powder - just leave the petcock in the "prime" position overnight. In the morning you'll be ready to go with a crankcase full of gas.

Oh, and don't forget to put your petcock back in the "run" position when you're done.

Comment

Working...
                  X