Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems need Carb cleaner to run...

Ok,

Here is the scoop. I have an 82' 1100E with an 84 1100 engine. I seem to have developed a stutter and lost a ton of mid (2k to 5.5k rpms) range HP. Today as a last resort (I recently tuned the carbs and changed the plugs, trying to solve the problem, but nothing changed!) I dumped in a bunch of Carb Cleaner and the problem went away, Engine ran smoother and HP was back up to par. Now I know that I've only masked the problem by adding super high octane fuel and I'm wondering what the real cause might be. Is my timing off? It my mixture? Could it be mechanical? HELP!!!

maybe bad tank of gas or idle jets are getting trash in there, do you run a fuel filter?

Comment

Since the carb cleaner made such a marked difference, you may have found the cause as carbs that need cleaning.
      They do get dirty, and it takes very little to clog a jet . Do you have a fuel filter? If not, get one. They are really cheap insurance.

You may also need to check the rubber spacers between the carbs and the engine...you could have an air leak and that will foul up your mixture.

You have electronic ignition, and these system usually either work or fail, so it's not likely you have a timing problem, and the difference of the carb cleaner in the fuel would not affect timing that much, anyway.
      Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Ok, Tomorrow I'm pulling the carbs and checking the boots and giving them a FULL cleaning. Thank you for the tips..

Comment

Working...
        X