Exhaust Header wrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust Header wrap

In drag racing and road racing the engine builders are using exhaust wrap which keeps the heat in the exhaust header, increasing gas velocity and scavaging. This in turn adds HP. I have been looking at this and what I like the most about it is that it insulates heat from the cylinders which allows for a cooler running engine. The down side is that it looks like, well, poop! It look like the Mummy attacked your exhaust!

Has any one tried this or know someone who has? It may be ugly but it would be a functional addition and not something to make the bike just look pretty. Where would you get this stuff and does it absorb water (which could result in a corrosion problem)?

Hap

Exhaust wrap does hold water and it will decrease the life of your header. 3M has some wrap out now that supposedly alleviates that problem, but I don't know too much about it. You may also consider ceramic coating from a company like Jet Hot.

-=Whittey=-

Comment

THATS SOME NASTY STUFF TO MESS WITH AFTER IT HAS BEEN ON YOUR BIKE AWHILE, ITS FULL OF FIBERGLASS, IT WILL STIFFIN UP AND WILL PROBALY TEAR WHEN YOU TRY TO REMOVE IT AND GET FIBERGLASS EVERYWHERE, WE HAD A JEEP WITH THAT CRAP ON THE PIPES IN THE SHOP, I HAD TO REMOVE THE WRAP WHILE ON MY CREEPER MY ARMS JUST SOAKED IT UP 8O

Comment

Hey
        Ive used this wrap on a set of edelbrock headers that were on my car. I could definitely tell the different in under hood temperature. These headers last about 9 years before the holes rusted through.
        They make a silicone spray that you apply to the wrap that prevents moisture penetration. As you can tell, i didnt use the spray :roll: .

The down side is that it looks like, well, poop! It look like the Mummy attacked your exhaust! [/quote]
        Im thinking about using it on my bike...seeing how my pipes look poopy already.

The wrap is fairly cheap its runs about $14-35 (depending on how much you want)
        The silicone spray runs about $6 (black or aluminum color)
        Summit Racing and JEGS has it

Jet Hot is also a nice product...its looks nice and it does the job but its kinda of expensive (i believe its about $100).

Well its your choice. 8)

Comment

Well, you have seen the obvious downsides, and know about the supposed advantages, but as one person mentioned, it will cause the pipes to rust out sooner.

They hold so much heat that it tends to drive the carbon out of the steel tubing, which causes the metal to literally disintegrate.

I would rather have the Jet-Hot coating, but it is rather pricey... 8O

Comment

Has anybody tried HiPerCoat? I have see it in the cycle magazines and they have a life time guarantee against rust even on used headers. They say that Angelle Seeling uses it on her bike but I doubt hers gets the abuse that ours get on a daily basis. If you have used it, how much did it cost?

Hap

Comment

This is the response I got from HiPerCoat

Hap

Hap,

Header wrap will void the warranty on the coating. Typically voids any
              warranty with the header manufacture.
              4:1 motorcycle header (with out the canister but CAN have a megaphone)
              H05X coating (high lustre aluminum) inside and out coating.
              $185.00
              H05O coating (high lustre aluminum) outside only coating.
              $140.00
              H02X coating (semi-gloss black) inside and out coating.
              $240.50
              H02O coating (semi-gloss black) outside only coating.
              $182.00
              Muffler/Canister
              NOTE: HPC will charge $30.00 each for disassembly of carbon fiber and other
              multiple piece mufflers. To avoid this charge please disassemble the
              muffler before sending to HPC and send only the end cap muffler inlet pipe.
              HPC will not be responsible for damage to mufflers during disassembly.
              Reassembly of the muffler is the customer's responsibility.
              H05X coating (high lustre aluminum) inside and out coating.
              $55.00
              H05O coating (semi-gloss black) outside only coating.
              $71.50
              Freight:
              You are responsible for freight charges both inbound and outbound.
              Delivery:
              Delivery is about 5-7 business days in house.

Comment

Hmmm Hap, seems their price for inside/outside black coating is withing $50-60 of the price of a new anodized black Vance and Hines 4 into 1. (uhhh yeah, I realize that wasnt the original intent of the thread) :-) :-)

Earl

[quote="Hap Call"]This is the response I got from HiPerCoat

Hap
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Yanked right from the Jet Hot FAQ:
                  "What kind of warranty do I get?"

"When coated inside and out, all parts have a 3 year satisfaction guarantee: new parts also get lifetime rust-through coverage."

So lifetime warranty, looks damn good and increases horsepower. I like it, I like it.

-=Whittey=-

Comment

Working...
                  X